Thread: Chisel box

Chisel box

White oak, poplar, maple ply. All salvaged material.

IMG_4931.jpg

Blog Entries
    It would be easier if they didn't keep showing up at such tempting prices.

Box of Socket Chisels & Gouges.jpg

There is actually some order to the storage and the handles also indicate which is which.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It would be easier if they didn't keep showing up at such tempting prices.

Box of Socket Chisels & Gouges.jpg

There is actually some order to the storage and the handles also indicate which is which.

jtk
    I think you could use some "different" type of storage
    If it works for you it's all good. I have to agree with the sentiment of them showing up at good prices. I bought 2 over the weekend.
    All I have currently is some drawer trays I made to utilize some wasted space.
    IMG_1144.jpgIMG_1145.jpg

I'm not sure I'll ever make "fitted" cases like Cameron, (nice tray/box) unless it's a proper set.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I think you could use some "different" type of storage
    I've thought of a vertical design on a door or wall, but that would mean getting serious about coming up with new storage for everything else.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

These are all the boxes. The lower middle ones came in their box, I made the other ones. There are some others in rolls.

These things are sharp, & would not do well banging into each other.

IMG_4932.jpg

I've posted my chisels in boxes and drawers before, so will not do so again. Anyway, this is Cameron's thread. However, I will post a box that was not made by myself, and made by Watanabe Kiyoei, the maker of my Kiyohisa slicks (taken about 18 or so years ago, shortly after I received them) ...

Regards from Perth

Derek (travelling around New Zealand)

Well I think you inspired me enough to go make a few more trays/boxes, thanks for posting

Derek those are lovely & have no doubt gotten some good use since then.

The smallest box in particular is quite handy to take to where you're working for selection & place to put the tools back down.

The large one takes up too much room on the bench & two hands to carry. It would be better as two stacked boxes with range of sizes in each.

My storage for chisels is on my tool cabinet door. I tried to get or make complete sets. Bottom row are cranked neck gouges and one flat one. Next row up are flat chisels from 2" down to 1/16". Next are Mortice chisels and three swan neck. Top row is dovetail chisels from two different makers and two fishtail. Also there are two drawbore pins stuck between rows. The basic construction of each row was a block laid out and grooves cut to match the tools. Then a thin board was glues to this one making the slots. The blocks are slid into slots on the door and are removable.

Chisel Rack.jpg