Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is spray welding by mail a possibility?

Brian you are probably right. The thin wall is fine for a wiping seal but a friction fit will probably crumple up the sleeve.
    Further thought says when I did the jb weld thing I had no lathe. So jb weld then light passes with a file.
    Bill D

Instead of spray welding, why not build area up using MIG welder, and then turn down to size.

I think the concern is that by welding on one side at a time the shaft would be pulled out of straightness. I may be wrong about that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Instead of spray welding, why not build area up using MIG welder, and then turn down to size.
    We had a fabricator where I used to work that was very skilled at doing this. You have to be very careful not to warp the shaft. He would run a bead the length of the surface being repaired, let it fully cool and then run another bead 180* opposite of the first one and continue around the shaft. Also allowing it to fully cool after every weld and making sure to go 180* from the last bead. You'd still need a metal lathe and measuring instruments to turn the shaft to the proper diameter.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

You don't mention how much you need to build up the shaft. I've done this in the past using a plater. I had some small shafts that experienced fretting corrosion unter the bearings. A local guy (I know, you're in the boonies) hard chrome plated the worn areas and build the lost material back. I think he added 0.020" to the diameter. We then OD ground the shaft back to design diameter. A bonus was that the chrome was some pretty tough stuff and a much better place for the bearings to ride. No more fretting corrosion.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Might try keith rucker at vintage machine he may be able to help here is a link to his youtube channel https://youtu.be/O-QIWwW1LOs?si=Bg8ZCmRBiWDAF4Ia

Reading a thread about a Parks planer on OWWM led me to parts4parks.com which appears to sell a new shaft for $86. If they have one, at that price or anywhere close, I will buy it and put it in. Much better than any kind of repair to the old shaft, I would imagine, and the price looks good.