Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max weight on bandsaw table: ACM BS540

Max weight on bandsaw table: ACM BS540

Hi,

I plan to make planks out of some oak logs. How much weight can the bandsaw table take without risk of damaging something?
    Last edited by Roger Olsson; 04-15-2024 at 1:34 AM.

Blog Entries
    Not all band saws have the same capabilities. Knowing the brand and model of the saw you intend to use would be helpful here.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

In my mind it's more a question of how the weight is applied. More weight can be safely supported if it's just set gently on the table than if it is dropped from a few inches onto the table. If the same weight is dropped from a foot or two it will have much more destructive power.

There is also the aspect of actually physically and safely moving that weight through the cut (sled required for safety on something like this) and understanding that a vertical bandsaw like that really wasn't designed for milling wet, green logs. Using the correct band will help, but it's still an "off label use". I've seen a video (no idea where) that showed a whole work support construction around the bandsaw that essentially supported the weight of the logs as well as provided for clamping and moving through the cuts.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Not all band saws have the same capabilities. Knowing the brand and model of the saw you intend to use would be helpful here.
    It is a bandsaw like this, ACM BS 540. Its from the 1980's and wheighs 240 kilos.
    https://www.blinto.se/auction/BS-540-142463-45448/

How big are the logs?
    You'd need a sled to secure and control them.
    And amongst other things...
    Infeed and outfeed support.
    Two people.
    A suitable blade.
    A powerful enough motor.
    Oak sapwood isn't overly desirable.

I have a 17" Grizzly
    https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...unnion/g0513x2
    which looks to be very similar and I regularly put logs weighing 50+ lbs on the table.
    I use a large sled
    IMG_1153.jpg

I've seen people call a tree branch a log. What are the dimensions and weight of your log. The trunions under the table will be the critical parts, and no one knows what the engineered weight limit is. Except for the engineer of course, and they didn't design it as a sawmill.

walked on one of the bandsaw tables many times to reach up to get things on the wall. Have to stop doing that and will.

If the trunions are cast iron, not aluminium, I wouldn't concern myself too much with the weight. You can only put so much on the table at one time, anything too long and you need additional support.
    The log/burl I posted is a good 75 lbs

2hp motors on most of the ones I've seen, though never seen an ACM so old..
    I think you'd have to seek out a grey Felder 540, or Laguna should they have sold the 40 series for more power,
    Griggio and Bridgewood both selling ACM's frames also, with 3hp motors on the 600mm saws.
    I presume most saws not branded by ACM being more premium and would have solid wheels, rather than optional,
    but unsure if that's the case with the 40 series, doesn't seem I've came across anything but spoked wheels on the old ones...
    perhaps nowadays though, seeing as the do the Formula line.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    2hp motors on most of the ones I've seen, though never seen an ACM so old..
    I think you'd have to seek out a grey Felder 540, or Laguna should they have sold the 40 series for more power,
    Griggio and Bridgewood both selling ACM's frames also, with 3hp motors on the 600mm saws.
    I presume most saws not branded by ACM being more premium and would have solid wheels, rather than optional,
    but unsure if that's the case with the 40 series, doesn't seem I've came across anything but spoked wheels on the old ones...
    perhaps nowadays though, seeing as the do the Formula line.

Tom
    And none of that in any way shape or form answers the OPs question.

Might though, if we're possibly talking about the next gen of SNAC...
    and whether the OP is aware of the possible challenges sorting out another motor if necessary, as the pulley sits very far out on these with a shrink fit.
    So with a replacement found local, might indeed need be "let into" the chassis, in order for the pulley to reach where it needs to be.
    which is a good idea to be made adjustable anyways, especially considering if it were an SNAC from that era.
    Not got a good look to see if the arrangement on that old ACM machine is likewise, but I could only guess so.
    SAM_6745.jpg
    https://i.postimg.cc/8zGHCJ2W/SAM-6745.jpg
    Should none of be deemed an issue, then yes is my final answer.
    All the best

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 04-15-2024 at 6:43 PM.

and I thought id catch hell for doing walk abouts on my bandsaw table

If it weighs more than 50% of the saw weight it may tip it over onto your face. If it is long even less weight will do it as well.
    Bill D