Thread: Chop Saw problem

Chop Saw problem

I have an Evolution 380, 14” chop saw. While it does wood fine, it is my primary metal cutting saw and I have been very pleased with it. In the downsize I got rid of my plasma and horiz BS so it is my go to for metal. I’m building a 6x16’ gate for my daughter’s place. A 10’ gate, 3’ man gate and 3’ filler. Teh frame is 2x3” with a redwood filler. I cut off a small triangular piece of metal and did not clear it before doing another cut. That piece got picked up inot the blade shroud and stopped the saw cold. That is a lot of mass to stop that way. I ordered a couple parts to get the shroud and guard operating and all good. Upon trying another cut after the repair the saw runs but stalls almost immediately on a cut. It seems not coming up to full speed as well on start-up. I don’t know if the arbor is bent or the quick stop blew the motor, or for that matter, both. I’d be obliged for any thoughts on this.

Is the blade running true? If the motor blew, it wouldn't start.

I put a dial indicator on it yesterday and yes the blade is true. Amazing to me given the quick stop. The motor does start but the saw has no power.

I wonder if gear teeth got stripped.
    Bill D

Hmmm! Will check, Bill. Thanks.