Thread: Tormek alternatives for wood carving?

Tormek alternatives for wood carving?

I purchased a Tormek T8 Custom specifically for sharpening wood carving tools. I have other machines and devices to take care of my other sharpening needs. Are there alternatives to the Tormek for sharpening wood carving tools? I thought the honing wheels would be especially useful but it now seems the machine in as a whole is somewhat redundant and unnecessary. I still can't get over the feeling that the Tormek is a bit gimmicky.

No Google at your place? Veritas MKII, Worksharp, Burke Sharpeners, Chipping Away Power Sharpener, Sorby Proedge, etc.... There is also a carving tool resource right here. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-carving-tools

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    No Google at your place? Veritas MKII, Worksharp, Burke Sharpeners, Chipping Away Power Sharpener, Sorby Proedge, etc.... There is also a carving tool resource right here. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-carving-tools
    Thanks Richard! Yes, I do use Google and am aware of the Sorby Pro Edge, Veritas MKII and the linked Sawmill Creek linked thread. However, I never ran across the mentioned power sharpeners/honers before. That kind of setup would be interesting and not too difficult to make. The upshot of the thread reminded me that it might not be advisable for a wood carving beginner like myself to power hone. I'll probably stick to the stopping by hand for the time being. I already have what that takes.

I have a tormek but it never dawned on me to sharpen my carving tools on it, I just do those by hand. Too much setup (in my mind).

I use my Tormek to sharpen my carving gouges and v gouges.
    I've been using a Tormek for quite awhile so long in fact I've completely worn out my first machine.
    It takes time and patience and the Machine will reward.

I would like to add to my post something I thought of. A new set of chisels that cut well can be kept sharp by just buffing by machine or by hand.
    What makes a Tormek have a edge over other systems is when a v gouge or u gets a nick. Or maybe the edges get too blunt from buffer.
    Tormek has two jig that one can use to follow the factory angles. Once those angle are lost good luck especially on smallest gouges.
    I hollow grind then stone taking advantage of the hollow just like a plane blade then use my buffer to maintain a edge that cuts.
    Last edited by Andrew Hughes; 04-15-2024 at 9:11 PM.

Just a very beginning carver here, so I do what my teacher tells me to do-- which is honing freehand on a leather wheel charged with a green buffing compound. He has a grinder that he will use to reshape a new or found tool on rare occasions and some shaped MDF wheels charged with the same compound for slightly more aggressive honing and maintaining angles. In the five years that I've been learning I haven't yet had need of anything other than the honing wheel. My teacher has tools that he's used daily for decades that he says have never seen a grinder.

Roger that sounds like a good teacher. My first carving teacher John was very much the same. He used stones and a strop. Someday I’m going to try the green rouge I use red.
    If your interested I just happened to post a simple mouse carving that can be done with a knife. Let me know if you have already seen it before. I’m not sure.
    Good Luck
    Aj