Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Large Power Tools

Shipping Large Power Tools

I looked quite extensively but figured I would ask if anyone has a good way to ship large power tools and tool boxes at a reasonable price. Distance is about 1000 miles.

One way Uhaul box truck was about $2800 so that's too much.
    One way Uhaul trailer was about $1000 and not sure it would hold the weight, don't really want to drive the 1000 miles either.
    Uhaul rental trailer local was reasonable but that would require me driving it 1000 miles there and back, not ideal.
    Could get some pallets and strap stuff down but no pallet jack or way to lift the pallets.
    Looked at a PODS but don't see any way to strap stuff down inside and a possible weight issue.

Best option might be to just sell and buy locally but the tool boxes and tools have sentimental value. Not in a hurry can probably wait until I have a need to drive up there but prefer to transport somehow for a reasonable price.

Fastenal has a drop off program. Drop off a pallet at the store and they will put it on their trucks to another store. Rent or buy a pallet jack and drop deck trailer. I assume fastenal has a forklift at every store? They are used to pallets full of nuts/bolt so weight is not a big issue to them.
    Bill D.
    https://www.fastenal.com/fast/blue-lane-freight
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-15-2024 at 5:39 PM.

Thanks Bill I'll look into it

Some company had a program where they give you a pallet with a gaylord on it. You fill it up and they ship it for flat rate. It might have been fastenal?
    Bill D.
    Fed Ex freight box?
    https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping...ide/boxes.html
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-15-2024 at 7:36 PM.

Days of cheap shipping are long gone.

OWWM used to have a "Ruckers" forum--people traveling empty one direction hauled part-way. Mostly used for "old arn" transport. Don't know if that is still active there or not.

If the stuff will fit on pallets then use an online LTL broker that lets you choose from a number of venders like FedEx etc. freight quote.com is one such vendor.

You can easily build custom pallets to fit btw. Buy, borrow, rent pallet jack as needed. Truck will show up and use liftgate to take your pallet away.

I’d solicit bids via the broker, you might be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Days of cheap shipping are long gone.
    Yea, I agree. The shipping on my slider in late 2022 from Georgia to Pennsyltucky for about 1000 lbs was $1200 and that was with terminal pickup, not door to door. LTL rates are much higher due to labor shortage, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Maybe not directly related to the subject but what are the options for moving machines through a standard passageway door opening and over rough ground that is inaccessible to a truck? I have used the plywood and rollers technique but there must be a better way. Rhino carts?

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes Anderson View Post
    Maybe not directly related to the subject but what are the options for moving machines through a standard passageway door opening and over rough ground that is inaccessible to a truck? I have used the plywood and rollers technique but there must be a better way. Rhino carts?
    Machinery skates is a tried and true method. But there are more and more electric powered equipment that is available for rent. I used a powered stair climber dolly that was a wonderful machine. Our son had a company move in a hot tub. Now those guys have the equipment for moving loads on yards!

https://www.freightquote.com/

Or a site like it will provide decent quotes for LTL. You will need to palletize, know how much it weighs, and dimensions. They will pick up with a lift gate if its light/small enough. Shipping is cheaper if dropped at facilities, shipped from a commercial address, or a if a forklift is available. Also if there is no rush it will help save.

Most I have done is 1 pallet with 500 lbs on it. It cost us $250 from a commercial address to a commercial address with forklift on each end. I receive a lot but am not really a shipper or returner.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Machinery skates is a tried and true method. But there are more and more electric powered equipment that is available for rent. I used a powered stair climber dolly that was a wonderful machine. Our son had a company move in a hot tub. Now those guys have the equipment for moving loads on yards!
    We're considering buying a pre-built yard barn (delivered and set is not much more than my material costs--crazy). Watch a video or two of a 16' x 20' barn being delivered--probably ranks up there with a hot tub delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gumpper View Post
    I looked quite extensively but figured I would ask if anyone has a good way to ship large power tools and tool boxes at a reasonable price. Distance is about 1000 miles.

One way Uhaul box truck was about $2800 so that's too much.
    One way Uhaul trailer was about $1000 and not sure it would hold the weight, don't really want to drive the 1000 miles either.
    Uhaul rental trailer local was reasonable but that would require me driving it 1000 miles there and back, not ideal.
    Could get some pallets and strap stuff down but no pallet jack or way to lift the pallets.
    Looked at a PODS but don't see any way to strap stuff down inside and a possible weight issue.

Best option might be to just sell and buy locally but the tool boxes and tools have sentimental value. Not in a hurry can probably wait until I have a need to drive up there but prefer to transport somehow for a reasonable price.
    There are more more companies like PODS than just PODS. Here's one list:

https://www.move.org/best-moving-container-companies/

I kind of thought the PODS containers were not really suitable for heavy things like machines and tools boxes - too lightly built though I could be wrong, no experience. 1-800-pack-rat claims all steel containers.

I had one bad experience with an LTL shipment and that was enough to never go that route again. I only use the small air ride conestoga side curtain vans now. Easy to load and unload if you have a forklift. Just had a few machines delivered from New York to Kentucky for $1500. IMG_5543.jpg

Blog Entries
    I also try to avoid LTL as often as possible. I would do as John suggests and rent a forklift on both ends. Unfortunately there is no inexpensive way to do this, unless you rent a trailer and are willing to do the labor yourself.

In perfectly clear weather (lol) I picked up a Hapfo lathe with a Home Depot flatbed. Cost me for a helper and rental, so all in for about $650, if I didn't need a helper it would have been around $150+gas
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.