Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bogus Norton Anti-Virus purchase

You have to assume just about all of those invoice and Nortons and the like are Scams! Never ever respond to any of those.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    You have to assume just about all of those invoice and Nortons and the like are Scams! Never ever respond to any of those.
    The real Norton is a scam as it loads almost as much cr** as Microsoft Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    ^^^^THIS^^^^
    It's a resource hog.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I absolutely agree with you. I ditched Norton 20+ years ago and remember an unpleasant fight to remove it from my PC.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    ^^^^THIS^^^^
    It's a resource hog.
    I don't get the resource hog references. I've used Norton for years and never had an issue with slowing down my pc by it using up resources. My desktop PC is just an off the shelf model from Best Buy and the only thing I've done to it is swap the HD for a 1TB SSD. It goes from turning it on to ready to go in 13 seconds. Pretty much same results with my laptop. Neither one has any slowness issues when using.

Blog Entries
    Been a decade since I've tried Norton. It was a resource HOG then and I'll not try it again.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Been a decade since I've tried Norton. It was a resource HOG then and I'll not try it again.
    Maybe you need a better computer??

No doubt in my mind that Norton (Symantec) software from years back was crap, it bogged down machines and it required a lot of frustrating work to get it off a machine. I think Symantec took/bought the good name of a person who developed a suite of very useful tools back in the primitive DOS era and seriously diminished it. Having said that, I think it is unfair to paint the current products with the same brush as the earlier Norton (Symantec) software and my understanding is that things have improved. I don't use it so I'll leave it at that.
    If your machine runs well enough to do all you want to do with no ill effects from the Norton stuff then there is no problem. There is nothing to be gained by having "un-used resources" sitting around doing nothing. If it doesn't run well, then that's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    No doubt in my mind that Norton (Symantec) software from years back was crap, it bogged down machines and it required a lot of frustrating work to get it off a machine. I think Symantec took/bought the good name of a person who developed a suite of very useful tools back in the primitive DOS era and seriously diminished it. Having said that, I think it is unfair to paint the current products with the same brush as the earlier Norton (Symantec) software and my understanding is that things have improved. I don't use it so I'll leave it at that.
    If your machine runs well enough to do all you want to do with no ill effects from the Norton stuff then there is no problem. There is nothing to be gained by having "un-used resources" sitting around doing nothing. If it doesn't run well, then that's a different story.
    "Un-used resources" are not in a permanently unused state.
    They are like money in the bank. I may not need it at the moment, but when I do, I want it to be there, available, not locked up (bogged down).
    I want resources available.

Blog Entries
    I have both Free AVG and subscription Malwarebytes on my laptop. As long as you don't fall for the AVG upgrade popups all seems good there. Malwarebytes was added at the suggestion of the paid geek that removed a virus which loaded when I responded to a phishing scheme from an email which seemed to be legit from PayPal. They seem to work well together.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I have both Free AVG and subscription Malwarebytes on my laptop. As long as you don't fall for the AVG upgrade popups all seems good there. Malwarebytes was added at the suggestion of the paid geek that removed a virus which loaded when I responded to a phishing scheme from an email which seemed to be legit from PayPal. They seem to work well together.
    Malwarebytes worked well for me...until it didn't.
    One day it started causing all kinds of problems, so I got rid of it.