Thread: Increasing straight line rip capacity of Felder K 700 S sliding table saw

Increasing straight line rip capacity of Felder K 700 S sliding table saw

I’m recently retired and relatively new to woodworking. I set up my shop in the year before my retirement and my splurge purchase was a Felder K 700 S sliding table saw. It is an amazing piece of equipment and I love the precision with which I can cut sheet goods using the x-roll slider.

When milling rough lumber, my straight line rip capacity using the x-roll slider is about 8.5 feet. I’m looking for ways to expand that capacity to handle 10’ to 12’ boards while using the slide and not just hand feeding them. The slide really helps me handle the weight safely on those long 8/4 boards. I’m betting that someone has already solved this limitation issue and I would greatly appreciate your expertise.

Thanks!

Mark Miller

You can add a sliding jig to the sliding table. See post #27 in this thread. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-Feeders/page2 You lose some precision but can get the edge within range of a pass on the jointer. Of course you need a substantial jointer to handle such long pieces. Unless you need the finished length it's easier to buck the material shorter first.

Thanks Kevin. Getting within range of a pass on the jointer is the goal. I have a 12” jointer and a couple of roller supports that work fairly well with the long stock. I am planning to make a long trestle dining table for my wife, so I need to handle boards longer than my 8’-6” capacity.

A track saw would be the tool you need.

Many folks with shorter stroke sliders will make use of a ripping sled on their slider wagon to increase length capacity for critical straight line rips. You still have better control than by using the fence for a traditional rip and that's important for a "jointer quality" edge. Now that I have a short stroke instead of the longer wagon I used to enjoy, a "long ripping sled" is on my list for shop projects, although I rarely need to do something beyond my particular machine's native capacity. I used a track saw like Richard mentioned for a table project I did last summer and it worked fine, but as good as a track saw edge is (and I have an 8' track), it's still not as pristine as a straight line rip on a slider wagon with the already flattened and thicknessed materai clamped down through the cut.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. Just to be clear, the ripping sled would be pushed forward after I reached the capacity of my slider, right? So building a long, flat jig that indexes on the slot in the slider, and slides smoothly in that slot, is the way to go.

Like Richard mentioned, I do use my track saw for items that cannot be put on the slider and it does a good job but I really enjoy utilizing the slider as much as I can.

Thanks again.

Here is a better picture showing what Kevin described. Basically just a board with a guide on the bottom, screws sticking out at the end.
    i just have a piece of sandpaper at the other end to keep the board from moving. I used this method for many years before getting a long format slider and straight line rip. Way faster than a track saw.
    IMG_5450.jpg
    IMG_5451.jpg

These photos help alot. Very simple and straight forward. I see that you used lumber instead of plywood, which allows me to attain the length I need. Thank you!

I had a 8’ one out of plywood, but yes for longer solid wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miller Magnolia Texas View Post
    Thanks Jim. Just to be clear, the ripping sled would be pushed forward after I reached the capacity of my slider, right? So building a long, flat jig that indexes on the slot in the slider, and slides smoothly in that slot, is the way to go.
    Yes, in general, that's exactly what you want. There have been a few examples of this posted over the years...I could be wrong, but I believe that Derek Cohen has shown one as he has a very short slider wagon. My SC3C has decent capacity for most of the work I do which is why I opted for it rather than paying a lot more for a longer, 8'6" wagon like I had on the old slider prior to my move here. But I can see the value of making up a sled for longer capacity. Like I indicated, I can do a long board with my 8' track...and didn't mention that I have a large flattening table to support things while I do that including great clamping ability, but I still covet that super clean edge I can get on the slider.

The "tee" slot in your slider wagon is a valuable asset for both sliding and fixed fixtures which you will likely find great ways to leverage over time.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-17-2024 at 9:34 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Excellent. Thanks again for all the help.