Thread: Homemade Awning Windows ?

Homemade Awning Windows ?

Is it possible for someone to make these to where they can be open from inside?
    My new to me garage will have 12’ ceiling height, the overhang is 3’ The shop is about 38’ long which like to install about 12” below ceiling. Since I figure that may need several of these evenly spaced apart, the cost may be too expensive. I can buy 5/4 dried treated decking boards to make these, but I don’t have imagination so looking for some plans. But I am open for suggestions, maybe buying them if I can pull it off. Yes I have tools, so I believe I am tooled up. Thanks for input

I've never seen a pressure treated board, kiln dried or not, remain straight enough for making windows. Just how much cheaper are DIY? Weatherstripping sure will be a challenge.

Making the "windows" is an approachable task, but the opening mechanisms are a different issue, especially since you can't use a simple hinge and prop setup with them that far up in the air. No way would I use the kind of lumber you describe for the task, however. I'm in complete agreement with Richard about that. You need quality stable and kiln dried material for windows and doors to insure that they remain flat and square so they operate correctly over time. You can use pine or poplar to keep costs down and that's what's used for many kinds of wooden windows...it just needs to be properly finished on the exterior and installed correctly to be weather resistant. Personally, however, given the "where" they need to go and the challenge with the hardware, I'd buy the windows pre-made with an opening mechanism that can be used via a long pole to crank them out and crank them closed, similar to what is used for manually operated roof windows.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys, I’m rethinking this. I may just go with transom windows that’s just to let light in. See HD has some that’s just 100 ea. I have to many projects going on at same time so I can’t get bogged down with something like this

You can source the hardware. I replaced a whole bunch of them on the awning windows in my house. Unfortunately, I still need to replace them as the glazing has lost its seal.

The long pole is exactly what's in use at my house, and the windows are about the same height.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

6. I would go to a window supplier and see what they have- a lot of times they have odd ones from special orders and you may find what you need fairly cheap even at $100 each its worth your time once you count the wood and glass and mechanism

I always liked the window awnings , now they gather ….yawnings. AC cooled down the fad.

There are a number of manufacturers that make operable awning windows with purchase prices that are reasonable. I had some in the garage of a previous house, and the ability to open them for ventilation was really nice.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.