Thread: Finishing Stair Treads

Finishing Stair Treads

I want to finish my interior stair treads with a more durable finish. They have been painted with black satin Valspar latex porch & floor paint. I painted them a few years ago and put a carpet runner down the middle. I recently removed the carpet and repainted the treads with the same black paint. I want the stairs to stay uncarpeted. We haven't had any issues with the steps being slippery. They also have a very deep tread (11 1/2 inches deep). I have an issue with the paint scratching and chipping. I want to put something over the satin latex paint that will make the steps much more durable for foot and animal traffic. An employee at Lowes told me to use Minwax Clear Brushing Lacquer clear satin. I don't know if this is the best product to use or if there may be more durable options out there. I don't want a shiny finish. I like the satin/matte look they have now. Thank you for any suggestions or help you can provide me.

IMG_2489.jpg

I don't know if they are compatible, but floor finish is what you want, something like Bona HD Traffic. Whatever you choose, it needs to be a waterborne to be compatible with paint you have on there now. And I would do a test on a piece of scrap wood. Apply the paint and let it cure at least a week, then apply the floor finish. Let that cure a week, and then see if it scratches off with your fingernail or edge of a nickel. If it doesn't, you should be good to go.

The guy at Lowes probably meant well, but has no clue.

John

Porch and floor paint used to be good for the purpose, but it's been a long time since it really has been. I'm thinking about trying Durepox.

The gov -ment don’t allow no GOOD Paint . I would use painted canvas covering . Old ,and still works. The canvas soaks up paint
    and becomes stronger, and gives Cush . Some years ahead ….you will need to will need a permit to use 2 ply toilet paper.

There are plenty of quality paints, Mel. The waterborne acrylics and urethanes are amazing, and more than up to the task. Pro quality paint designed for use on interior stair treads will give a very long life.

John