Thread: Aha, I identified my Domino 500 problem, I think!

Aha, I identified my Domino 500 problem, I think!

Ok. Removed the stop and sat the tool on the edge of my cast iron sawstop table saw. With pressure down on the knob it wanted to rock a little bit even with it pushed into the edge of the table. The fence will go square at the plate where the bit emerges, but,and it's a big but, the fence that raises and lowers is not flat from the back to front. So, if I push down on the knob so the fence is flat, it raises the ass end and this would be true even if, and I do, keep my hand on the rear of the tool when plunging. Quite of bit of run out from flat for short a distance. Probably always been like this. I stopped using it for table top glue up and they started coming out better just using my biscuit cutter. I'll try some cuts tomorrow with different methods to see if I can get flat joints. I don't want to return it to Festool, out of warranty, and with their "Festool full repair" seems they are going to want to do more than fix this defect.

Domino square 20240416.jpg
    Brian

Is it like that on both sides or just the side shown in the picture?

I think a Seneca domiplate would eliminate that issue (at least for 1/2” and 3/4” material) for what you described in the other thread, even if it is caused by this runout on the fence. I had alignment issues when I first started using the Domino and adding the domiplate cured that problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zucker View Post
    Is it like that on both sides or just the side shown in the picture?

I think a Seneca domiplate would eliminate that issue (at least for 1/2” and 3/4” material) for what you described in the other thread, even if it is caused by this runout on the fence. I had alignment issues when I first started using the Domino and adding the domiplate cured that problem for me.
    It is consistent across the face. Thanks brian
    Brian

Has it ever been dropped?

The Domiplate is a very nice addon to the domino for cabinet work but the fence should be square on its own

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Has it ever been dropped?

The Domiplate is a very nice addon to the domino for cabinet work but the fence should be square on its own
    Don't know if I dropped it, could have. It is square, but not true flat, tapers zway from square towards the end with the handle. Test this morning, as long as I don't put downward pressure on the handle I can get a flush height joint. It's usable just have to remember, which is becoming a challenge army age! Brian
    Brian