Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cross Cut Sled

Agree the 5 cut method is pretty simple and works great. I'd give it a go and see if you can dial it in further. But .009" over 16 1/2" seems like its probably good enough...

Tom McLaughlin is great but man all of his videos are about 4x as long as they need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Agreed, I've also built sleds using the 5 cut method based on William Ings video (which I think Katz-Moses refers to). I think the jig might save about 1/2 hour of your time. So at $198, you would have to make a lot of sleds to justify the cost. Maybe worth it for a commercial shop making dozens of sleds in a year, can't see it either for a hobby shop.
    I agree but the jig is only $139.99 by it self...
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    I agree but the jig is only $139.99 by it self...
    Website says $198 on presale, regular price $240. Can't tell but maybe it's quoting me in Canadian dollars?
    Just went to the website and put it in my cart and it shows up as Canadian Dollars.
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 04-23-2024 at 10:51 PM. Reason: added last sentence

The KM tool is a cool innovation to our craft. Necessary? No. If you want it, get it, enjoy. I squared my sled with a 1/8" gauge block in the kerf and a square I trust. That's basically all the KM tool is.

Quite honestly I don't understand the obsession with 5 cuts for accumulated error when 2 cuts and flipping the board is more than sufficient if you really can't trust any of your layout tools to tell you the cut is square When ya'll build a piece of furniture what tools do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Quite honestly I don't understand the obsession with 5 cuts for accumulated error when 2 cuts and flipping the board is more than sufficient if you really can't trust any of your layout tools to tell you the cut is square When ya'll build a piece of furniture what tools do you use?
    If you can increase your accuracy with almost no more work, why not? True, this isn't a machine shop. But why not start off as accurate as possible, given that this is a ~10 minute process?

When ya'll build a piece of furniture what tools do you use?
    For joinery, a shooting board.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    If you can increase your accuracy with almost no more work, why not? True, this isn't a machine shop. But why not start off as accurate as possible, given that this is a ~10 minute process?
    Respectfully accuracy is not increased if you know what you're doing. You're chasing numbers that have no relevancy. If you can't build an accurate sled with a square for fine furniture building, you should figure that out first.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    For joinery, a shooting board.
    Sorry Mike, it wasn't a generalized question, rather it was in context of using the same tools to build a sled as one would a piece of fine furniture. I'm loosely familiar with the use of a shooting board but not anything specific to how it would help build a sled.

Respectfully accuracy is not increased if you know what you're doing. You're chasing numbers that have no relevancy. If you can't build an accurate sled with a square for fine furniture building, you should figure that out first.
    Perhaps I'm not the pro that you are. I just like to give myself the best chance of being successful that I can. So for me, definitely an amateur, that means to put in a process that is repeatable and quantitative, not "this looks good." But all that matters is the result you get, so everybody...do what works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    Perhaps I'm not the pro that you are. I just like to give myself the best chance of being successful that I can. So for me, definitely an amateur, that means to put in a process that is repeatable and quantitative, not "this looks good." But all that matters is the result you get, so everybody...do what works for you!
    That's right James, the results are what matter. Your method is fine, I was only suggesting that with some good layout tools you can trust and a little experience you can build anything, including a sled.

Sorry Mike, it wasn't a generalized question, rather it was in context of using the same tools to build a sled as one would a piece of fine furniture. I'm loosely familiar with the use of a shooting board but not anything specific to how it would help build a sled.
    pretty much means that my sled's are not my final cut. Essentially, I con't care about their absolute accuracy. Because the shooting board will result in that, and a cleaner cut anyway
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Well I got the sled dialed in the other day. I used the 5 cut method. I like it because after doing the math it tells me how far and which way to move the fence. I had a little trouble and found out that my fence was tipping when I would tighten it down. After fixing that problem it was easy.

For the folks that are saying to use the two cut method, does it tell you how much to move your fence to make it square?

For the folks that are saying to just use a square that you trust, what if I don't have one?

And I don't have, nor have I ever used, a shooting board, but my understanding is it wouldn't work for the plywood I'm going to use.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Glad you got it working Jerry, hope you enjoy making stuff on your new sled

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    For the folks that are saying to use the two cut method, does it tell you how much to move your fence to make it square?
    Yes. You can look up the math, which isn't difficult, but if you have a feeler gauge it's simple. The gap is 2x the error in your fence. If the gap is at the bottom, move the left side of the fence down, else move it up by half that error. Once it looks perfect...it is perfect and measure with your square to check (oh, wait...see next reply)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    For the folks that are saying to just use a square that you trust, what if I don't have one?
    Good grief, stop making sleds, get a good square first. This is the old cart-before-the-horse problem IMHO.