Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross Cut Sled

Cross Cut Sled

How precise do you fellas get with your cross cut sleds?

I'm getting ready to build a cabinet for the lady of the house and thought I'd check my sled. Well I fooled around for a while and I have .009 difference from one end to the other over 16 1/2 inches. If I'm doing my math right that's .0005 per inch. Close enough or keep going?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

It's very simple to get your sled's fence even more precise.

Look for Scott Walsh's videos on youtube. Find the one where he demonstrates the 5-cut method. You'll be glad you did - his methods are both fast and relatively easy.

For your own reference, I posted my TS sled pics on Sawmill Creek around Q3 2023 - I used a 1/4-20 bolt for a micro-adjust screw behind the fence.

Keep us posted.
    Howard Rosenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Rosenberg View Post
    It's very simple to get your sled's fence even more precise.

Look for Scott Walsh's videos on youtube. Find the one where he demonstrates the 5-cut method. You'll be glad you did - his methods are both fast and relatively easy.

For your own reference, I posted my TS sled pics on Sawmill Creek around Q3 2023 - I used a 1/4-20 bolt for a micro-adjust screw behind the fence.

Keep us posted.
    I've been using the 5 cut method from William Ng's website. Started with about .033. Was getting distracted with an empty belly that knew it was later than I did. I'll go back at it tomorrow.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I prefer the two cut method. Remember it's woodworking, not machinest work.

Check out the new jig from KatzMoses tools. The patent-pending jig utilizes the kerf from the saw blade to precisely set the rear fence 90 degrees to the blade. Neat idea.
    I may make a sled for finger joints but not cross cutting-I am fortunate enough to also have a sliding table saw.

I have a few squares I build every piece of furniture with. They’re square. So that’s how I build my sleds and other jigs.

I used the William Ng 5 cut method and am happy with results. Use whatever method you have faith in. There is no right or wrong. It's purely subjective! It's merely a matter of personal opinion and choice.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Check out the new jig from KatzMoses tools. The patent-pending jig utilizes the kerf from the saw blade to precisely set the rear fence 90 degrees to the blade. Neat idea.
    Any one have one? or tried it yet?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    I've been using the 5 cut method from William Ng's website. Started with about .033. Was getting distracted with an empty belly that knew it was later than I did. I'll go back at it tomorrow.
    Ng's the man. steps are easy to follow, sled is accurate. Every stage of squareness matters. Plus, he’s goofy.

Splurge and use high quality sheet stock. This is a sturdy, precision tool. Mine’s 1/2”, and that’s enough. 3/4” would be unnecessarily heavy, and would lower the cut capacity a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Any one have one? or tried it yet?
    I have one on order. They aren't in production yet so it will be a few weeks until it arrives.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Interesting idea. I used the William Ng method several times with great results. In retrospect, I agree that 0.75" is too heavy. Can't lift it. Use overhead hoist where it lives.

But the KM jig.... Interesting approach.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

IMHO, there are way too many gimmicks in woodworking any more. The katz-moses jig seems like one of those (to me). I've used a sled always and always got square material out of it. The 5 cut method came out and everyone realized their sleds were wrong... why? Did everything you made until that point not have square ends? Don't we shoot ends anyway? (Full disclose, I've tried the 5 cut and it totally works, not knocking it but there's nothing wrong with using a square to setup, making a cut on a board and flipping one side over to check that all was setup correctly).

13. Built my sled following the Katz-Moses video that uses the 5-cut method. It is not at all hard and gives me square cuts at tolerances beyond what my skills probably deserve. A sled is so easy to make that I really don't understand buying the KM jig.

Quote Originally Posted by James Schmidt View Post
    Built my sled following the Katz-Moses video that uses the 5-cut method. It is not at all hard and gives me square cuts at tolerances beyond what my skills probably deserve. A sled is so easy to make that I really don't understand buying the KM jig.
    Agreed, I've also built sleds using the 5 cut method based on William Ings video (which I think Katz-Moses refers to). I think the jig might save about 1/2 hour of your time. So at $198, you would have to make a lot of sleds to justify the cost. Maybe worth it for a commercial shop making dozens of sleds in a year, can't see it either for a hobby shop.

I like Tom McLaughlin's method...it's pretty simple and no fancy jigs. Google his YT video.