Thread: sander dust collection

sander dust collection

Hello - I need better dust collection for when I'm sanding panels or breadboards. In my reading I can't understand if the Festool system is awesome (according to reviews) because of the vaccuum or the sander itself or both? For example, can I connect the Festool vacuum to my DeWalt sander (I understand connections might be an issue). Other solutions?

Thanks - Scott Welty

I have a Festool 125 sander and dust collector. My shop is a 100 yards or so from the house. I use the Festool dust collector working in the house and a shop vac down the street. The all Festool system works very well (to the satisfaction of my wife) in the house. In the shop the combo system seems OK. Keep in mind that the Festool sander itself has a unique dust collection hole pattern but since I've never used another sander with a different scheme I can't testify to whether that makes a significant difference.
    Robert

For example, can I connect the Festool vacuum to my DeWalt sander (I understand connections might be an issue).

With regard to this part of your question, yes, you can connect the Festool hose to your DeWalt sander, using one or more adapters sold by DeWalt. Assuming your sander is a newer model and has the proprietary DeWalt dust port, you need DeWalt part number DWV9000. If your sander is older and has the generic tapering type port that every manufacturer used years ago, you will additionally need a second adapter, also made by DeWalt (which will couple to most of those old style ports regardless of make, not just DeWalt). See this post for more detail: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....t=#post3147916

The Festool system (or the Mirka system, for that matter) are designed to work together pretty tightly and yes, they do perform surprisingly well. For Festool, since that's what I know and use, that center hole in the pad and media is also part of the advantage as it helps keep the abrasive clear even better. The extractors are pretty darn efficient and reasonably quiet, too. Combining these systems with the popular mesh abrasives kicks dust extraction and sanding quality up "even more notches". But you absolutely can use one of the Festool extractors with a DeWalt sander if you wish. You may or may not need to do something about the connection, but the Festool hose fits on a lot of gear that isn't Festool branded.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just to throw some other cheaper options there. I've been using a Bosch extractor for years, works well connects to my festool and Bosch sander without adapters, does not fit my Dewalt biscuit joiner. I also have Fein I picked up at an auction last fall for 55 bucks. It is unbelievably quite with great suction, has a different size hose end than the Bosch but fits my old Dewalt biscuit joiner and Makita tracksaw without an adapter.

Blog Entries
    I love my Bosch sander but my Ridgid works better at collecting dust when hooked to the same large shop vac and a dust deputy. I wish the Bosch had the additional cowling that the Ridgid does. I don't do a lot of power sanding but a recent project has had ROS DC on my mind ;-) I do use a mesh abrasive and an interface pad which work pretty well. The Bosch scratch pattern is superior but the Ridgid collects better. I don't qualify for a $1000 ROS solution (although I was happy to buy a Domino). I will percolate on this and see if I end up doing more power sanding as I get older or continue with hand tools. Decisions, decisions.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Festool ets sander are more comfortable with less vibration and they will probably last longer than $50 options but in the end i would assume they sand at the same rate as the $50 units
    Good paper can last longer
    Adding a good extractor will make your paper last longer, you can sand faster, and you will live longer

The longer lasting paper and sanding faster are due to the cooling of the paper. you wont be changing and you can also increase sander speed without overheating pad/paper

8. Watch the level of suction,it can lead to excessive sanding marks.
    Less so with abranet.
    Festool has adjustment for suction level,not sure about the others.

Quote Originally Posted by STUART Robertson View Post
    Watch the level of suction,it can lead to excessive sanding marks.
    Less so with abranet.
    Festool has adjustment for suction level,not sure about the others.
    Mirka has variable speed on their vac.

I sand outside on a day with wind, and even then use supplied air. I neither want to clean it up, nor breathe it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

20 x 20 box fan in a window.

So 3M ambient air blower there. Quality product one sales guy told me they were overbuilt. Hoods stink compared to Sata but all up to the hood really good good quality.

I had an older Bosch that I used with my central DC. Upgraded to a Festool sander and used that with the central DC - this was a huge upgrade in both efficiency and comfort. I then later added the Festool vac to go with the sander. Again a step up in convenience and incremental improvement in efficiency.

I do not use the variable speed of the vacuum very often. I do use a variety of paper including the 3m abranet which I prefer over the festool paper.

All I can offer is that this combination performs very well. Efficient sanding with modest noise, minimal dust (most important!), and good comfort.

I upgraded from middle-range sanders (Milwaukee and also had a dewalt that I just donated to the garbage bin) that I would hook up to a wet/dry vac with a hepa filter to Festool sanders and one of their extractors. It was night and day, both in dust collection and how well and quick sanding went. I actually don't mine, almost like sanding now. I tested my Milwaukee with my dust extractor and my Festool sander with my wet dry and overall performance was no where near the same.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

I recently sold my arsenal of Festool sanders to free up some cash and replaced them with Bosch 5” and 6” ROS sanders, plus a Bosch 1/4-sheet sander. When connected to my Festool vacuum, I get dust collection that is every bit as good as with my Festool sanders.

I personally think the mid range sanders will work decent with an good extractor hooked up. Purchasing a good quality dust extractor is the key to collecting most of the dust created by small power tools. With tools other than sanders it is important to have good dust shrouds mounted in the correct places. One of the best tool purchases in my shop over the years is my Festool CT Midi! I'm blown away by the performance of this machine even to this day. It's so much quieter than a shop vac, doesn't lose suction as the bag fills, and the hoses are so much easier to deal with than other shop vac hoses. This is a tool I don't think anyone will regret purchasing, the initial cost up front only hurts for a second.

I think where my high end sanders shine, Mirka and Festool, is with efficiency and comfort during long sanding sessions. My Mirka Dero's sander is so much faster than any other ROS I've owned. It's also incredibly comfortable in the hand with a fraction of the vibration typical ROS create. A Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita, etc sander will do the same job but is no where near as efficient.