Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Township building codes.

I think they just want you to enjoy the experience ! They follow Martha Stewart’s guidance. Lightning might be a reason, too.

Holy Smokes, Jim! No salt on your tail How long have you been in town and you are heading the PC. I admire and respect your initiative.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Now that's an interesting experience. The only answer I've ever got from that exercise is "that's what it says in the zoning ordinance" or "that's the law." Not that those are wrong answers, but they're not very informative.

My favorite was trying to get an explanation for why, since the zoning ordinance prohibited a guest house from being more than 600 square feet and from having a basement, I was required to put in a septic system sized for a 3 bedroom, 6 occupant, dwelling. The answer was right - the house size restrictions were in the local ordinance, and the septic system requirement was in state law (with an unexercised option for local modification).
    Steve, in one case, a former owner of this house had built a bathroom and had it connecting directly with an open doorway, no door, to the utility room where both the washer/dryer was located, the water heater and the gas furnace. Local code said you can't have a shower/bath in the same room as a furnace (worried about accelerated rust on the furnace) so I asked the inspector how on earth can I install a door there? The inspector suggested a pocket door. Bingo! I purchased a pocket door kit and the newly separated utility room passed code.

In the same bathroom, the previous owner built it with the electrical panel in the bathroom. That didn't meet code. When I tore out the original galvanized shower, framed the room out with a tiled shower and drain, this came to light. This was with a different inspector. He pointed it out saying he couldn't pass it but IF I was to frame in a short wall more than 36" across from the panel and put a door at each end so the electrical panel was in it's own little room, there would be a bathroom at one end of the hall, a bedroom at the other end and it would pass code.

I really have gotten some good recommendations from the code people. I had broken my back and for a physical therapy while I was off work, I built an octagon goose gazebo to house 3 concrete geese brought to our home by a sister (I am the oldest of 6 and I think the geese were her act of retribution for our childhood). When the 2nd inspector came out inspect a new gas furnace installation, he saw the gazebo, looked it over and said it would pass inspection too. (Hurricane clips holding the rafters to the wall.).
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I will try to get the inspector to come out and take a look, but my project is a12x12 metal gazebo thats not ok,but a 10x13 patio umbrella or a easy up screen roomthe same size would not need a permit. 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    Holy Smokes, Jim! No salt on your tail How long have you been in town and you are heading the PC. I admire and respect your initiative.
    Three years this past Tuesday was our "house-a-versary". I got "drafted" for the commission by a neighbor who is an elected council member a year ago. In January, I got stuck with "the job". Honestly, it's not difficult other than having to wrangle enough of the other volunteer members to have a quorum each month...you would think that wouldn't be hard since it's the same flippin' day and time every month. Sheesh! All good people, although there is one dude we could all do without. "That guy", as it were. Can't get rid of him...can't get him to quit. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Make him the ,Head Of Garbage and Refuse Department, “ Make him an offer he can’t refuse”
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 04-21-2024 at 3:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Make him the ,Head Of Garbage and Refuse Department, “ Make him an offer he can’t refuse”
    If only...but that's not really something possible. Not only is it not a function of a planning commission, that particular "sport" is subcontracted out to Waste Management.
    --

God luck. There are three townships around here that I will not bid a job in if it requires permitting. I can't bid and make money because their rules are so arbitrary.

I would say lightning. If it is Ok to have a wooden one attached they must be afraid of lighting striking it and setting the house on fire. Tell them youll put a nice big ground rod on it.

You usually can't get a variance unless there is a reason not of your making that makes something not work. If you can't place the gazebo ten feet away because it send up in the neighbor's yard that might be a reason to grant a variance. They might not grant a variance if you simply want it closer than ten feet and there is space to put it at ten feet.

A friend of mine rebuilt his two car garage that was within five or ten feet of the property line. He was required to use drywall on the exterior of the property line side underneath the siding. I don't think he needed a variance since the existing garage was in the same location.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    A friend of mine rebuilt his two car garage that was within five or ten feet of the property line. He was required to use drywall on the exterior of the property line side underneath the siding. I don't think he needed a variance since the existing garage was in the same location.
    There is often dispensation for garages relative to side-setbacks compared to residential accessory buildings and other structures and that likely stems from the very real fact that driveways, themselves, are often close to the line. Our jurisdiction requires 15' side-setbacks for all structures except garages. Garages require a minimum 5' side-setback. And yes, like-for-like, including setbacks is often approved for same footprint replacements with some restrictions and requirements. But again, zoning is "local".
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-22-2024 at 6:47 PM.
    --

Blog Entries
    A way to get around the 10 foot rule is to be sure the auxiliary structure is less than 100 square feet. Garden sheds and small, portable, auxiliary structures <100 SF do not require permits in our town. One gentleman in our neighborhood has a shop created out of several 8 X 12 garden sheds all lined up right on the property line and very close to the house.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 04-23-2024 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    A way to get around the 10 foot rule that is to be sure the auxiliary structure is less than 100 square feet. Garden sheds and small, portable, auxiliary structures <100 SF do not require permits in our town. One gentleman in our neighborhood has a shop created out of several 8 X 12 garden sheds all lined up right on the property line and very close to the house.
    Permits and zoning are two separate things. While a residential accessory building under 200 sq ft might not require a permit, it will still be subject to zoning setbacks in most jurisdictions unless it's specifically called out in the details of the particular residential zone regulations that apply to the property.
    --

Most of california sheds under 120 square feet can be on the property line, no permits, etc. Some height rules and no overhang over a fence line. Add power or water and you need permits. Two such sheds allowed per one lot.
    The 120 sq feet is the max size sold at box stores.
    BilLD

I’m thankful that what we have here is zoned agricultural. No permit required to build anything to house tractors or equipment and no written rules about converting these buildings to something else unless they are going to be lived in.

Individual agricultural use also frees up from under all sorts of other regulations too.