Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there a small, accurate table saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    drop a sheet of quarter inch ply with a stop block front and back on the table saw. Turn your blade up through it and thin rips are fine.
    Will try it. Thanks
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    drop a sheet of quarter inch ply with a stop block front and back on the table saw. Turn your blade up through it and thin rips are fine.
    Tried that with my Hitachi job site saw.
    I never solved all the problems I had getting it to work with the fence.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I had one of those that I purchased from a friend 45 years ago. He had it from his father's estate. I used it as my primary table saw for a couple of decades, but one day the friend shows up and wants to lend to a young fellow building his own house. I was traveling all the time for work, and saw no need for it in the forseeable future, so of course gave it back to the guy I had gotten it from on loan. Never saw the saw again. He still apologizes for having lost my saw about once a year, when I see him at a community event.

It was a great saw for it's size. Plenty of mass, solid bearings with minimal runout, and accurately ground miter slots. Assuming he only very rarely needs blade tilt, would be a perfect compact saw for the Geoff's situation. Can't recommend it though for anything most things that do require a blade tilt. Tilted tables on a saw are just all kinds of difficult to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    I had one of those that I purchased from a friend 45 years ago. He had it from his father's estate. I used it as my primary table saw for a couple of decades, but one day the friend shows up and wants to lend to a young fellow building his own house. I was traveling all the time for work, and saw no need for it in the forseeable future, so of course gave it back to the guy I had gotten it from on loan. Never saw the saw again. He still apologizes for having lost my saw about once a year, when I see him at a community event.

It was a great saw for it's size. Plenty of mass, solid bearings with minimal runout, and accurately ground miter slots. Assuming he only very rarely needs blade tilt, would be a perfect compact saw for the Geoff's situation. Can't recommend it though for anything most things that do require a blade tilt. Tilted tables on a saw are just all kinds of difficult to work with.
    My Hitachi job site saw was none of those good things.
    15 amp direct drive motor screamed like a Banshee - aluminum top was lightweight - miter slots were stamped out of the aluminum, were not a standard size (metric size of some sort), the legs were weak and spindly and the saw was very prone to tipping over, indifferent fence - not bad - not good - just there.
    Horrible excuse for a tool.
    I did manage to remake all the doors in a kitchen with it so it paid for itself.
    I think we're talking about different saws.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

putting ply down works great, its no different than a zero clearance insert and maybe better.

Looks like this place has a couple of the Trim-O-Saw's for sale:

https://industriallynx.com/hammond-g...fence-1hp-3ph/

for 400.00 to 1,000.00 you can buy a used cabinet saw. You can add a few jigs made from scrap and probably have a better saw than most shown here. You are limited by these smaller saws where the larger cabinet saw can do the small stuff and larger stuff. Past experience ripping material on small saws is painful.

Blog Entries
    How about an Inca table saw? You can find used ones in great condition...

Geoff has never come back. I think we can stop suggesting solutions until he comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Geoff has never come back. I think we can stop suggesting solutions until he comes back.
    Maybe he's reading all the comments, but not saying anything at the moment.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Thank you to everyone for all the good ideas! I suppose the best saw for the lowest price would be to follow the suggestion to remove the extension table from my cabinet saw and buy a shorter fence rail. Then I can always put the extension table back on if I have more room in the future. But some of the other suggestions look interesting, too, so I'm going to learn more about some of the other saws that were mentioned.

A Hammond Trim-O-saw is pretty sweet.