Thread: Wood Bleach Segmented turnings

Wood Bleach Segmented turnings

Is it possible/OK to use Zinsser wood bleach on a segmented turning glued up with Titebond III?
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I guess no one has done this so I had a reject ring and applied the wood bleach. Really no effect on the glue joint. The bleach effect only goes maybe 1/64 deep with one application.

IMG_3541.jpg
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

William, I looked quite a bit this morning and couldn't find any information on that topic one way or the other. I was going to suggest that you experiment but you already did.
    Glad it worked and once again, good information to have.

Did you consider calling Titebond? Give their tech support the ingredients and you should get an answer.

Will you have completed all sanding before applying the bleach process? Curious if sanding will remove the bleach look you want.

Edward and Robert thanks for your effort/suggestions. I did go to the titebond site and looked at all the Q/A’s. Was going to email them if my test was inconclusive, but I have my answer. I am going to do a second application over the first to see if the penetration is any deeper with two applications.

Why do you want to bleach a segmented piece? The beauty of segmented turning is that one can create spectacular designs/patterns with multi-colored woods. So, why bleach the color out?

If you want a monochromatic segmented piece to embellish, use a single wood species (maple?) for all the segments. - John

I agree with you except I want to make a bowl with a white as possible base/bottom and have a Purple Heart top ring.