Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building another 4 x 4 outdoor dining table

John, I'm not trying to get into this argument, but I've heard it mentioned a time or two myself. I do believe there are sustainable sources but just look up "ipe lumber deforestation" and you will see several reliable sources discussing the deforestation problems associated with imported lumber such as ipe.

I didn't think there was an argument. I provided a link that appears to show at least some importers are following whatever rules the international community has agreed on. But I can see how that was misleading as there is a greater problem with loss of Ipe' acreage. Unfortunately, it's the same story that's been repeated countless times, including here in the US.

Taken all together, Mark is absolutely correct that we should use local materials when we can. The problem comes in sourcing wood that will work for a given application, affording it if you can find it, and sometimes accepting significant compromises. Ipe' didn't get to be popular just because it looks pretty (at least for a short while). It has outstanding durability even with no care given it.

John

I know of a wood that’s probably more rot resistant then ipe. Apitong. It may not be a beautiful but just as difficult to machine and extremely durable and might be less expensive.
    I second the vote for domestic wood. Everything is in play if it’s painted even Douglas fir.
    Good Luck
    Aj

what do you think of this? Teak like? thanks brian

https://www.samsclub.com/p/6-pc-dini...plp_product_35
    Brian

I think you can't build it for anywhere near that money.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I think you can't build it for anywhere near that money.

John
    Absolutely not, but quality? Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Absolutely not, but quality? Brian
    Looks like a kit, so the joinery won't be heirloom quality. I wouldn't be surprised if it's put together with bolts and barrel nuts, which do a good job but require tightening now and then if used outdoors.

You get what you pay for.

John

There's zero chance you can come anywhere near the price of pre-built teak furniture... it's taxed differently than raw lumber when exported. As far as quality, what John said. And a far a choice of material, it all turns grey. Yes, teak will last longer but the return on investment (if you're building yourself) is pretty poor.

You could build a nice table and give it a top of Trex or similar. Not high style but you can still have fun with joinery and it will outlive you.