Thread: Creeker’s Past Weeks Accomplishments

Creeker’s Past Weeks Accomplishments

Today is Earth Day, so we’ll be in candlelight shortly for an hour.

The kitchen trim is now painted, the walls tomorrow.

We bought a new fridge and stove today, it’s coming together.

I broke out enough red oak for rails and stiles for 6 kitchen cabinet doors, about the capacity limit for my shop.

So, what did you do last week?

Regards, Rod

I'm doing some more remodeling for my SIL, mostly installing cabinets in her "craft" room. Pretty straightforward except for one corner cabinet. It needed to be a base cabinet but because the room has a narrow door for some reason, and a turn is required just past the door, there was no way to get an actual corner base cabinet into the room (window too small too). Thank goodness she figured this out before ordering the cabinets. So instead, she ordered two wall corner cabinets and asked me to make a base for one of them so it could be used as a base cabinet. So I made a base with toe kick and added some small ladder frames so it can be attached to the walls even though it will sit about 6 inches from the walls so it lines up with the other base cabinets. Will be going over tomorrow to begin the install work. Stopped over last week to move a couple of receptacles higher so they will be accessible above the base cabinets.

Other than that I mostly did yard work. And I put new rear brakes on Mary's Forester and flushed out the old brake fluid and installed new since it was time for that. Also need to install new spark plugs since it's at 60k so that's on the list.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I spent all weekend helping my son redo the water pipes in his house. One spot is a tight squeeze- neither of us could fit until relieving the framing at the waste pipe to raise one end 1/2"or less.

The pencil in my shirt pocket had to be moved to the side to be able to fit under the pipe.

Fixed the motor on the 6x48 sander- it now sports a new "shorting necklace".

I used the 12" power plane that I got on a whim last fall to surface a 6x12 redwood beam. it weighs over 20lbs.

Building up 8x8 redwood pieces to repair rotted deck posts.

I finished the breadboard edges on the 2 sections of the extending/retracting portions of the table top for table I am building. With the grain running across the table, laying out and cutting the breadboard edges was critical so they would align between the two sections. Using a marking knife instead of a pencil, was critical and provided the results I wanted! Today I started the layout for the hidden hinges on the butterfly sections and then on to their breadboard edges. I will install the hinges first then unfold the butterfly extension to layout the breadboard edges for it so they will align with the other 2 sections of the table top.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-22-2024 at 10:43 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I finished up on an armoire that have been working on for several months: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-An-Armoire%85. Helped my daughter’s boyfriend make a cutting board. My next project will be a major shop cleaning and shop cabinets.
    Chris

I've spent the past few days resawing hard maple with my old Disston D-8 to make a toolbox for my wrenches out of scrap. And let me tell you, that thumbhole is not a gimmick! It makes a huge difference both in power and control. Needless to say, I'm pretty sore after 20 hours of hand sawing in three days. You find out every muscle you use when sawing, and quite a few will surprise you (like abs and obliques). But it's still better than going to the gym. And my sawing technique has never been better!

This past week I finished up the Systainer storage project, albeit I'm going to call it "phase one" as I plan on a couple more cabinets on top of those between the door and the flattening table when I get more material...it's flexible in that it can take the sliding drawers or fixed shelving so some additional storage space will allow me to better organize some other things. They are based on the Tanos plan for their sliding drawer/shell product but utilize inexpensive full extension slides and simple drawer/shelves for the Systainers that were relieved on the CNC to hold onto the "feet". But in a nutshell, I'm very happy with how things turned out. I'll be doing a thread when I have time to process all the photos, but here's the end result to-date:

SystainerCabinets.jpg ShopSystainerAdded.jpg

I also took care of some spring landscaping tasks on the nicer days.

This week I have a few additional shop organization things I want to take care of and some planning for a few home improvement things to come this spring and summer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had to turn in a timber management plan to keep the timberland in "land use" reduced tax range. The Southeast is covered with Pine stands managed where the priority is minimum time between rotation. They're taught how to do this type of timber management plan in schools, and not for what I want to do. That's why Yellow Pine has such a bad reputation these days. I didn't want to have our woods turn into one of those, so it's completely differently managed to produce maximum quality clear saw logs. Long story shortened, I was able to get my plan approved in the process in spite of our woods looking like what they learn in school not to do. Getting my plan completed and approved I felt was a great accomplishment for the week. The difference in property tax every year would have been substantial otherwise.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    This past week I finished up the Systainer storage project, albeit I'm going to call it "phase one" as I plan on a couple more cabinets on top of those between the door and the flattening table when I get more material...it's flexible in that it can take the sliding drawers or fixed shelving so some additional storage space will allow me to better organize some other things. They are based on the Tanos plan for their sliding drawer/shell product but utilize inexpensive full extension slides and simple drawer/shelves for the Systainers that were relieved on the CNC to hold onto the "feet". But in a nutshell, I'm very happy with how things turned out. I'll be doing a thread when I have time to process all the photos, but here's the end result to-date:

This week I have a few additional shop organization things I want to take care of and some planning for a few home improvement things to come this spring and summer.
    Your shop has filled up nicely. That is a lot of floor mats.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Your shop has filled up nicely. That is a lot of floor mats.
    And only one of them is new...all the rest came from the old shop and our old kitchen. (brick floor) It worked out nicely for the new shop for sure!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I’m taking a class in Veneering and Marquetry at the local community college and we have a project assignment due each week. Here’s assignment #9, a 10x10 inch checkerboard. Mine has maple and ebony squares one inch on a side, 0.022” thick, with a bubinga border. (At least I think it’s bubinga. I ordered a 15 lb box of assorted off-cuts and leftovers from a veneer supplier and none of the woods are identified.) The finish is shellac applied with the French polishing technique. I’m getting the hang of this!

IMG_1652.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Leifer View Post
    I’m taking a class in Veneering and Marquetry at the local community college and we have a project assignment due each week. Here’s assignment #9, a 10x10 inch checkerboard. Mine has maple and ebony squares one inch on a side, 0.022” thick, with a bubinga border. (At least I think it’s bubinga. I ordered a 15 lb box of assorted off-cuts and leftovers from a veneer supplier and none of the woods are identified.) The finish is shellac applied with the French polishing technique. I’m getting the hang of this!

IMG_1652.jpg
    Nicely done Mark!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

This is more of this weeks accomplishments, but it will be last week soon...

I've worked on this property since the '80s, and built the garage/guest house in 1990. A giant bay tree just fell, leading to the discovery of a rotted 8X8 post supporting the back porch.

The landscape crew is going to fix it, along with the fences etc. that the tree took out, but I am supplying a piece of stock for the repair. Dry 8X8 redwood is not that easy to come by. I was just given a 6X12 beam that came from a bridge, so I used some of that, cutting and re-gluing to get the dimension.

The clients habitually over-water the landscaping, so things stay soggy- I've repaired other stuff there.

IMG_4942.jpgIMG_4944.jpegIMG_4946.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

Nice job on those, Jim. I just got lazy and ordered the Festool ones years ago, for a ridiculously high amount of money. Yours are prettier, and look more useful.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I finally got to do some serious cutting on my 17" grizzly bandsaw. I resawed some 8/4 poplar into 4/4 without the saw breaking a sweat. Going from a 1/3 hp 12" saw to 2 hp 17" saw was a big jump, but the speed and power still amazed me.

That poplar has now been milled and cut into a collar for a kegerator build so I can finally stop having to bottle my homebrew beer. In true woodworker fashion, I dovetailed the box together even though its going to be painted. Nothing like a small detail that nobody else will ever see.