Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making screen panels for a lake view

Making screen panels for a lake view

At my lake house I have an outbuilding of sorts (we call it the cabana) where one side is completely open with a great view of the water front. I want to screen in this side of the building to keep the bugs out this summer. I plan on building a series of simple screen panels with poplar frames and domino joinery. The panels will be 37” wide by 72” high. My question is do you think a panel this size would require a horizontal rail in addition to the top and bottom rails. Either 1/3 way from the top or bottom? My preference would be to have no additional rails as it will slightly obstruct the view of the lake when sitting in my lounge chair enjoying a cocktail. I guess I could just build one and see how rigid it is but thought I would ask here first.

Yes. the screen will bow in the sides without.

Depends on the width of your stiles. If you want narrow stiles use a stretcher.

I avoid poplar for exterior work as it has little rot resistance. Look around for torrefied wood. Western red cedar, Atlantic white cedar, Spanish cedar, sipo and sapele are worth considering.

Green (in color) poplar is pretty durable. Used a lot of it in employments making stuff for exterior use. Some contractors doing
    high grade work, will ask for it , much better than some more expensive stuff, like pine . The white poplar is fine for interior trim and
    does not exude …pine-sap.

Mel, can you get poplar that is primarily heartwood? I have never seen it come that way in these parts. I worked on a large house trimmed outside in poplar with a lot of attention to flashing, sealing end grain and paint maintenance and it all went to mush within 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Green (in color) poplar is pretty durable. Used a lot of it in employments making stuff for exterior use. Some contractors doing
    high grade work, will ask for it , much better than some more expensive stuff, like pine . The white poplar is fine for interior trim and
    does not exude …pine-sap.
    Actually poplar heartwood is rated as; Rot Resistance: Heartwood is rated as being moderately durable to non-durable; susceptible to insect attack.
    https://www.wood-database.com/yellow-poplar/#

I think a number of woods are played down to boost sales of other woods more expensive. I trust what I’ve seen more than some of the
    books, and I think that’s the way of many. That makes for choice ! Lot of soft pine trim is used outside and pine is , I think less
    durable than green (color) poplar is constantly chosen by many in the trades , while something a little more expensive makes some
    people sleep better, and that’s OK.

I don't question your experience with poplar heartwood, Mel, but it just isn't available here as such. I have read elsewhere of old growth poplar being quite durable, and we have a meeting house in my town trimmed out with old growth white pine ca. 1890 which is going strong. I wouldn't bet $.010 on the same building built today with second growth material. Perhaps the same is true of today's poplar as opposed to the old material.

I assume the screen frames will not be supported on the sides by the framing of the building because otherwise this wouldn't be a problem. 2x screen frames should be strong enough without support on the sides. Sort of like a lattice frame. Not sure why wood species is a concern for something protected from rain by the roof and ventilation front and back to dry it out quickly.

Personally, I'd use Ipe or one of the other tropicals sold as decking. Much stiffer than poplar so you'll be able to use narrower rails and stiles, and no worries about rot resistance. The only domestic I'd consider would be white oak.

I made some LARGE screens a few years ago out of 1" Azek with an embedded aluminum stiffener and a spring loaded mounting system to keep the screens tight. Worked well, no maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I think a number of woods are played down to boost sales of other woods more expensive. I trust what I’ve seen more than some of the
    books, and I think that’s the way of many. That makes for choice ! Lot of soft pine trim is used outside and pine is , I think less
    durable than green (color) poplar is constantly chosen by many in the trades , while something a little more expensive makes some
    people sleep better, and that’s OK.
    A conspiracy theory? I trust what I have used more than books, but not believing science has become a real issue these days.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 04-23-2024 at 10:40 AM.

If you hinge the screens to each other so they can open/close like an accordion this will keep the stiles from bowing.
    But if hinging is out of the question I think a mid-rail or wider stiles will be needed.

Finish the poplar in poly or something similar if you're worried. Then it doesn't matter how rot and insect resistant the wood is, it only matters how resistant the finish is.

I've got some wooden parts on my boat I made from scrap poplar, finished in poly. Zero issues despite the constant exposure to rain, lake water, bugs, and sun.

If you're worried about strength, you might consider running a groove down the wood and inserting an aluminum strip. I've done this a few times in the past. Ultimately it would be better to choose a stronger wood or design. But if you try it first how you want it now and run into problems after construction, this is a good compromise solution to keep you from having to rebuild the whole thing. Just run the aluminum strips so the width provides the strength of support, and not the thickness.

I have basically the same setup at the lake. No, I don't have cross braces. The frames are ~1 3/4", with the stiff type of screen (not the nylon mesh ultra light weight stuff).