Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical Question

Electrical Question

Didn't want to hijack the other electrical thread so I'm asking here. I understand the issue with back stabbed outlets not holding up. But what's the difference between the back stabbed outlet connection and a WAGU instead of wire nuts? I see nothing but praise for the WAGU ease of use and the ability to reuse where a wire nut shouldn't be reused.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Wagos are easy to use and if you do a tape wrap after clicking them closed, they are not coming undone. You don't just stab the wires in...you open the clamps, insert the leads and then close the clamps until they lock. (and I do a tape wrap after that as I indicated) If you need to make a change and the current Wago has an open spot; use it. If you need an an open spot, you use a Wago with more positions. They don't get damaged with use, but if you feel uncomfortable with reuse, don't. I like using Wagos when I can (properly sized!) because they are easier to apply and easier to remediate or change than with wire nuts, and wire nuts get "nuts" when you are trying to join more than a couple heavier wire leads. Example, in the very large junction boxes in my shop for the general machine circuit, if I want to add an additional outlet somewhere, my use of the Wago connectors means it's simply a matter of clicking things together...I don't have to find a larger wire nut that can handle, say, 5 #10 leads that what's already there.

And while "backstab" outlets are not something one should use because that's trusting a spring loaded catch than can and does easily go bad, IMHO, "back wired" is not an issue because you are physically closing down on the wire tightly with a screw clamp. The bottom line is that it's about the connection.

I'm actually dealing with a whole bunch of "backstab" outlets in this 1993 era house we moved into three years ago. Each room I do updates in, I'm replacing all the outlets, not just for things like color, but also to eliminate the "backstab" risk.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

WAGU's have a very strong mechanical connection. I use them when installing the newer type of LED recessed light retrofit things as I'm confident in them and it saves overhead working time which can bother my neck. I still use wire nuts for other regular house type wiring.

What is the reason wire nuts should not be reused? Even if it comes off cleanly it shouldn't be reused?

Other Wagu-type connectors are pretty much the same as back stab receptacles They often come on recessed light fixtures these days.

They are handy in crowded switch boxes, but I have limited confidence.

I have reused wire nuts for decades (not the same ones).

Can’t edit on phone. The little levers throw the locking connector over center and are not going to release until the lever is thrown the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Other Wagu-type connectors are pretty much the same as back stab receptacles.
    Right. WAGO makes push-in connectors in addition to the lever-actuated ones.

On the surface, these may appear to be the same as backstab receptacles. But it might not be fair to judge push-in connectors based on one poor implementation. The discussion here is interesting.

Reading a bunch of Youtube comments, one benefit that stands out is connecting stranded and solid wires together.

In this test, high current was run through wire with various connectors, and they all maintained their connections long past when the insulation was melted away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uYD8e7idnY

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    What is the reason wire nuts should not be reused? Even if it comes off cleanly it shouldn't be reused?
    I'm interested in the answer to this question too.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Means nothing. Forget it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    This comes down to a matter of "common sense." A commodity that seems in short supply in modern times.

3M makes a wire nut with a claim of reusability.

3M Performance Plus™ Wire Connectors feature a flexible spring with generous room for expansion, and they are engineered for easy back-off and reuse.
    The wire nuts supplied with light fixtures from the Big Box Stores often are all plastic. These quickly find their way into a trash bin.

An inspection of a previously used wire nut should reveal if it is able to do its job.
    - is the internal spring discolored or distorted?
    - is the exterior deformed from overheating?
    - is the covering discolored from age or overheating?

My feeling is wire nuts are too cheap to risk life and home on trying to save a few cents if there is any question of its reliability due to any past use.

For the record, I have reused wire nuts after first determining they are unaltered or undamaged from previous use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I always re-use them unless it is obvious they don't grip and I don't know if I've ever seen a plastic-only one.
    However, since I'm not trying to make a buck at this, I always take the time to twist the conductors together with my lineman's pliers and I can see that the joint is tight before proceeding. I then put the nut on and ensure I can tighten it up. The principal job the nut is doing for me is insulating the bare connection not creating the twisted connection.

I agree. I feel like a wire nut is to protect a connection, not make one. I also point the twisted wires up when possible, so no way the wire nut will come off, and try to leave it not touching anything.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    I always re-use them unless it is obvious they don't grip and I don't know if I've ever seen a plastic-only one.
    However, since I'm not trying to make a buck at this, I always take the time to twist the conductors together with my lineman's pliers and I can see that the joint is tight before proceeding. I then put the nut on and ensure I can tighten it up. The principal job the nut is doing for me is insulating the bare connection not creating the twisted connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I agree. I feel like a wire nut is to protect a connection, not make one. I also point the twisted wires up when possible, so no way the wire nut will come off, and try to leave it not touching anything.
    Yes, I believe this is the consensus on proper use of wire nuts.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

So- fine to re-use as long as it performs as originally intended.

AKA, Common Sense. Which, I totally understand, is in short supply today with the youngers.

I have often pulled off and tossed re-used wire nuts that didn't behave as they should. But they often can easily be re-used. Especially when you get down into the smaller gauge wires, eg 16 and smaller. I do understand this thread refers to larger household wiring.