Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Box for Cremation Ashes

Box for Cremation Ashes

A friend recently asked me to make her a cremation ashes box (for herself). I did some research and the recommendation is one cubic inch per pound of body weight. All fine.

But then she suggested that we make it as something she can use while alive.

I thought of a jewelry box but I know there are a lot of creative people here so I'll ask for suggestions.

The minimum size is about 150 cubic inches. She has a plot intended for a cremation box so there's a maximum size. I don't know what that is yet, but let me say 500 cubic inches just to get started.

This will be a box, not a turned urn.

Any ideas?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Years ago I read in a couple of places that one of the first things an apprentice made was his own coffin , which would be used as a
    tool box. If it was not good , the shop owner probably kept it , and sent him on his way . Probably tried to sell it to the fired
    apprentice. When you are running a business, thrift is important !

One of the challenges with "interim use" of a cremation box is that quite often, the opening is in the bottom. You can certainly get around that using various box making techniques that would permit sealing a "more normal" box permanently with glue. (Heck, Professor Dr. SWMBO's 'rents live in a Thai teak ice bucket in Arlington National Cemetery that I glued shut after their remains were mixed and placed inside) How ornate or creative you want to get with the project will also enter into whether or not it will be adaptable to "interim use", other than decorative. To-date, I've only made them for pets, but all were bottom closure. They were also round/oval.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jewelry box is a good idea , preferably oval or round for a woman . They don’t want anything that’s going to , “ make me look fat” .

How about a small/medium sized doll house? If she's into that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Jewelry box is a good idea , preferably oval or round for a woman . They don’t want anything that’s going to , “ make me look fat” .
    LOL. I think I'll stick with rectangular for ease of construction.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

How about a Michael Cullen style bandsaw box? The top could be glued on for the final voyage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc5aq0vpwLY&t=409s

Here a look at a cremation box I made for my daughter in-law. The outdoor shell slides over.
    It was challenging to make I built up the sides with a popular core using epoxy kinda like plywood.
    Feel free to use my design or anything close.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Ok, so I thought about it and the dollhouse idea is kind of weird lol. Was trying to think "outside the box".

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Here a look at a cremation box I made for my daughter in-law. The outdoor shell slides over.
    It was challenging to make I built up the sides with a popular core using epoxy kinda like plywood.
    Feel free to use my design or anything close.
    That's really a nice box memorial, Andrew. The issue is that she wants something that she can use until need - so the box doesn't have to be put into the attic (for example).

But I really like what you did, and I can see that it took some real craftsmanship to make that.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-25-2024 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Spelling

Blog Entries
    Perhaps it is just a piece of art while the intended user is living?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrtMbXArbUU/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I recently made one for my grandson's cremains. Walnut sides, ebony splines and spalted silver maple divider and lid, walnut and bronze pin hinges a la Rob Cosman, with antique English cast pedestal feet from Lee Valley. 11 3/4" Long, 9 3/4" wide and 8" tall. Not designed to fit standard columbarium niches, because it will reside with his mom. There is a 1 3/4" deep compartment under the lid for photos and memorabilia. Finish is shellac on the interior, Watco medium walnut danish oil on the sides and multiple coats of Minwax antique oil and wipe on poly on the lid. Cup magnet in the lid and steel striker in the top of the side keep the lid closed and a small eyebrow sanded into the top of the front side allow opening the compartment. A small brass plaque (not shown) was added to the interior of the lid.
    For your purposes, you could adjust the size and the partition could be omitted and added later when needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 04-25-2024 at 5:35 PM. Reason: sp.

Kleenex box. Open top with a flower pot inside. Probably not for live flowers. you do not want it to get wet and rot. Too many connotations if it rots before the eyes of designed resident. Will the finish fade in the light?
    Bill D.

Look at about 11:00 for ideas on the book shelf.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVCaghNlCVs

https://www.instagram.com/ghostly.ar...l/C4lS5HBRaRV/
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-25-2024 at 2:47 PM.

That's really good work, Ted, and some good ideas. I like what you did for a hinge - Brusso hinges have gotten really expensive.

Thanks for posting that.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Kleenex box. Open top with a flower pot inside. Probably not for live flowers. you do not want it to get wet and rot. Too many connotations if it rots before the eyes of designed resident. Will the finish fade in the light?
    Bill D.

Look at about 11:00 for ideas on the book shelf.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVCaghNlCVs

https://www.instagram.com/ghostly.ar...l/C4lS5HBRaRV/
    Thanks, Bill. I looked at the Instagram posting. Very interesting.

Mike