Thread: Stanley #80

Stanley #80

I bought a Hock scraper blade scraper from Lee Valley for my Stanley #80. I was wondering because It is a lot thicker than the standard blade, cost a lot more too. I rolled a slight burr and took it for a spin on some red Oak. I like it very much, actually I am quite impressed. I am hoping it will hold an edge a lot longer. I will try to get some pictures tomorrow.
    Tom

Can you flex the blade? Or is it too thick and rigid like the blade on an 81, 12 or 112?

I'd assume it would last longer, just because Hock uses better steel.

Yes, you can flex the blade. Dose it help? Yes. It really help take a wider shaving. I tightened the screw against the blade and then turn it maybe 1/16 of a turn.
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Just a short note that may be of interest to some.

The #80 is one of the few number designations Stanley used for more than one product. There was also a short lived, 1877-1888, steel cased rabbet plane.

The #80 plane and #80 scraper, 1898-1984, were never in the Stanley catalog at the same time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I didn't stone the edge on anything. I kind of wanted to see how it worked. I rolled a small burr, thinking it is easier to role a larger burr than start over. The first picture is on Red Oak. next is Hand Maple and the last couple are walnut.

IMG_0118.JPG IMG_0119.JPG IMG_0120.JPG IMG_0121.JPG

I am satisfied with my purchase.
    Tom

Blog Entries
    WOW!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)