Thread: Cordless Circular Saw Advice

Cordless Circular Saw Advice

I want to replace my circular saw with a cordless saw. I looking for feed back from anyone who has used one. I'm invested in Milwaukee and DeWalt cordless batteries, so I'd be looking toward those two brands. Any thoughts are most appreciated, Vince

I have the dewalt cordless since I had already invested in the dewalt platform at that particular time. The saw works fine for crosscutting lumber, but is woefully inadequate for ripping large sheets of sheet goods. I do know that if I use the larger capacity batteries, it works a little better. I have jumped into the Milwaukee platform lately and am intrigued by their track saw. Had I not already had invested in the Makita corded saw I would have jumped on that one. It has excellent reviews from everyone who has used it. I have no knowledge of the other Milwaukee saws, but if they are as good as their other cordless tools, that might be worth a look.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I do not like it when responders do not answer the question. But I am doing it myself. I really like my Makita 7 1/4" cordless circular saw. Performs like a corded saw!
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

Which battery? Are they the 18v/20v, 40v/80v, 60v?

Another thread started a few days ago explored this question...

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-Circular-Saws

And yes, since you are already in a battery ecosystem, choose from that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
    Which battery? Are they the 18v/20v, 40v/80v, 60v?
    My Makita runs on 2 18 volt batteries so 36 volts.
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

One consideration that’s not been mentioned so far is the increase weight of battery powered tools. If you’re doing a few smallish crosscuts it’s not much of a factor but if you’ll be using it for longer periods of time you might want to heft it with the desired battery installed and then factor that into your decision.

I purchase the Milwaukee 18v 7 1/4 to build my retirement home. It comes with thin kerf blade that has hit nail or two still going strong. But! Even without the battery it’s still kinda heavy to use up on ladder. If I’m on ground then no problem using it. Also you will need a good size battery which I have the 6.0 battery that provides power for this bigger size saw. No regrets buying this saw but if I had a do over I would go with 6” saw just due to weight. I just don’t have wrist strength anymore.

Have the Milwaukee because 32 Milwaukee batteries, have no complaints. I bought it to abuse and it has never let me down.

These - are taking a lot of the "stuck feeling" out of the battery situation.
    Something to consider.
    My cordless saws are all Makita - 36v (two 18v) track saw, 5 3/8" 18v trim saw and 3 3/8" trim saw.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I can't answer your direct question, as I also have Teal-colored batteries. What I can say though, is that after buying a decent cordless circular saw, I have not used my corded saw since. I even gave it to my kid, since I could imagine no situation where I would want the corded one over the cordless. I did however buy a second cordless one that fits on my Teal-colored track.

I have a Dewalt 6 inch cordless 20V saw. It is lightweight and has no trouble cutting through 2x material accurately. For longer cuts or sheet goods, I use my tracksaw. I used to use the Dewalt corded saw, but I got a deal on the cordless Dewalt with 6AH 60V battery, so I have been using that lately. It has all the power and features of the corded saw, and seems to handle the same. It was great using it outside when working on the deck where I could rip boards without a power cord getting in the way. In the shop, it gets a hose for dust collection, but it's still nice not to have the power cord as well.

The one negative about the Dewalt is that the tracks are slightly different from the Festool ones, so a lot of the third-party accessories, like parallel guides, don't work with them. The Dewalt saw will work on Festool rails, but I don't want to buy new rails as I have the 42", 58" and 102" rails. Dewalt does make an adapter for their track to use with a router, but I haven't tried it yet.

Derek

I'll second the dewalt track saw. I've taken mine full depth of cut (I had to flip the stock over to complete) through a stone-hard slab of maple (on a rip cut) and I didn't feel that I was forcing anything. At the same time, it's as precise as the festool saws (and can use their tracks and accessories). But now you're talking a (much) larger investment so if you're indifferent to that, I definitely recommend, if not, I would say go with whatever battery platform you have the largest investment in.

Hello!
    I have this dewalt 20v tool set, which also includes a circular saw. I'm impressed with the power of all the tools and the battery life.
    I'm definitely for Dewalt

I have the Milwaukee Fuel one and its awesome. Not tiny, but tons of power and runtime. But I'm way invested in Milwaukee at this point...