Thread: Gravograph LS800: Scrap or attempt to fix?

Gravograph LS800: Scrap or attempt to fix?

A 2004 vintage Gravograph LS800 with fume extractor and a new, not installed Ruida DSP controller the seller had planned to install but never got to made it's way into my garage yesterday. Bought knowing seller hadn't ever fired it up, and price was such that even if I scrap the laser out, sell the Ruida and keep the fume extractor for my generic K40 blue box, I should still be money ahead.

gravo1.jpg

Synrad Laser J48-2S, dated 2004 and no other stickers so assuming never been refreshed

Upon power up, it has the shutter error which can be fixed by manually operating the shutter, then it pops a Laser Over-Temp error on the display....haven't done much to investigate that one yet but it's sitting in an air conditioned garage.

So that's current state....usage would be non-commercial, basic engraving work on wood, gifts etc but no business on it. It worth attempting to try and get laser firing or is parting out and just using the extractor(which does work and what I wanted) the better play here in a limited space environment?

Appears like may have a dead power supply for the laser. Not getting any volts on the DC output and the Vok LED light doesn't come on. Popped the cover off and the fuses test good and no obvious blown cap's or other components with obvious issues. Line and neutral are wired backwards on the main terminal, swapping the L & N to both this power supply and the main hardware, but the rest of it powers on. I've swapped leads on this one to be wired correctly and as original and no change in end result, still no DC output(supposed to be 30v)

power supply.jpg