Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glaziers Points Sizes

Glaziers Points Sizes

I’m new to glazing putty, glazers points and new to installing small glass panes like 9”x14”
    I can’t find any small glazers points other than #7 which looks to be to big for size of mutton. Where the glass sets the mutton is about 1/4 thick. What I’m asking is where can I get these points that’s smaller than #7, I’m really not sure if I’m calling those points correctly to search. Either Amazon, or big box stores

I only know of the small ones used in the old Red Devil point driver guns.

I think I put some pictures of those in your older thread on this. They’re pretty tiny. I never use the push in points for that very reason.

Probably ebay

Search for vintage glaziers points on ebay

McMaster offers a couple different sizes and styles. Ones for sticking in a sheep (mutton?) are probably big. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Here are my pictures from that other thread-sorry all sideways. Muntin is 5/8" wide. Part the points are shot into is 1/4" thick.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 04-25-2024 at 11:41 AM.

I think the problem that the OP describes may be that the upright squared wings of the points stick out of the glazing fillet because of the depth of the muntins rather than the width of the muntins being too narrow for the sharp ends of the points. In that case she might just set the glass without points. Carroll, if you are new to setting glass then the most important thing IMO is to get the glazing putty worked to the proper temp and consistency. Knead a small handful of putty for about 15 minutes or so with your fingers and palm before setting the glass and the putty will cooperate much better. There is no stretchability straight from the tub so the putty tends to break into pieces. After being warmed up and worked a bit the putty will stretch almost like dough so you can use a putty knife to quickly create a smooth fillet.

The points used in my pictures don't have those right angle wings like push in points do.

Well heck, I need to google these before I embarrass myself mullions or muntins🙄

Thanks guys, I ran down to Ace and the ones they have does have that wing. Ones I pulled out are diamond shape but small. Tom I’ll have go back look at pictures but think those diamond shape needs that gun. Maybe

Probably depending on how hard the wood is. The gun makes it very fast and easy.

The points for narrow rabbets are #1 diamond points.

https://www.toolboxsupply.com/produc...-1-diamond-3-8

https://www.amazon.com/CRL-16-Univer.../dp/B00QL5FJ0O

The point gun that CRL sells to dive these points costs $325., crazy expensive. You can get a good one by Fletcher or Red Devel on Ebay for a rational amount of money.

Justin Smith is selling the same thing for $100. less.
    https://www.srshardware.com/product/point-driver/

For old work with narrow muntins, I need to set the points with a 1/4" nail set.
    Last edited by William Hodge; 04-25-2024 at 12:46 PM.

Those prices are nuts!