Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stanley Bailey #7 Made in England plane

I live in the Uk
    A number of years ago I attended a 4 day David Charlesworth sharpening and plane tuning course at his workshop in Hartland
    I took an old Woden plane to tune and after tuning was able to make long shavings which were very thin
    If you use Davids method to prepare a plane and replace the blade with a Hock blade you can have the satisfaction of having a tool to be proud
    I would suggest if possible to identify an example of a plane which has the least play in the depth adjuster wheel

Blog Entries
    I would suggest if possible to identify an example of a plane which has the least play in the depth adjuster wheel
    With the Bailey style adjuster that would be a Lie-Nielsen. Being so used to the depth adjuster backlash, play or sloppiness, makes using a plane without any a bit awkward. My plane with the most backlash is maybe three turns on the adjuster.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If backlash is a big deal for you, Wood by Wright sells a Reed replacement depth adjustment kit.