Thread: Flattening Paste for Oil Based Varnishes

Flattening Paste for Oil Based Varnishes

I tried Waterlox recently. It didn't work for my application, but might for others. I don't like the gloss level, however, so I looked for a flattening agent to use with it, or other oil based varnishes like Arm-R-Seal, that I use a lot. Here's one from Interlux that looks like it should do the job well. It's available at the big A, and I'm sure other places.

Why not start off with the finish you want in a flat or low gloss factory blend?

Mixing and matching finish ingredients from different manufacturers is a fine way to buy a lot of (expensive) failed learning experiences.

Your best bet is to call the finish manufacturer directly and talk to their technical guy. He will know the specific answer to your questions.

Waterlox OSF comes in one sheen and one sheen only. If you want a higher or lower sheen, you need to use a different product. I have used water based flatters from the only company I could find it available, in several finishes from TC and GF. Never an issue. I would not expect problems with the OB flattening paste either, but would always make a small test batch to confirm compatibility and to find the proper amount to use.

The benefit of adding flatters to a high gloss finish is it gives you control and the ability to have any sheen you desire w/o having to buy different sheens. I understand if people would just rather buy the sheen they need, I do most of the time, too, but if it's not available you either find a different product or adjust the one you have. I like being able to do that, and I thought others might like to know it's possible.

I'm using Minwax's Oil Modified Poly right now on an important project. The samples I made by brush are satin, as it says on the can. The test sample I sprayed is semi-gloss. They don't make flat, so if I want to use it, I'll either have to add flatters or rub it out.

John
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 04-26-2024 at 9:19 PM.

I think before I would try adding a liquid, I'd try dry Sliica powder like that really fine stuff that West Systems sells for thickening epoxy. It used to just be silica used for the different sheens, but I have no idea what they're using these days. I have no idea if this will work or not, but have used that silica thickener for decades. It's so fine that I don't even open the top without breathing protection. Maybe you have some of that in your shop.

I'm pretty sure the stuff in the can is a thick paste, Tom. That keeps it from separating in the can, and also causes little change in viscosity to the varnish it's added too.

John

John I use Waterlox OSF for most all of my top coating. Initially, after first applying OSF it will be scary glossy, during the curing period (30 days ish) the gloss will die down into a semi gloss. Actually a large percentage of the gloss will die out in the first week of the curing period.

Obviously if you are after matt or flat finish with OSF either your flattening agent, rub out is required.

First time I ever saw it printed flattening agent on a can.
    I always saw it called flatting agent.

50 years ago an old timer ripped me one for calling it a flatt -en-ing agent.
    Times change I guess.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 04-30-2024 at 12:08 PM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon