Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodpecker’s 96” layout tool. Well worth the money.

This is a public forum for discussion and learning. So if someone posts on here they are going to get opinions, which in my mind is good. You get to learn from a range of experience. When people post stuff that they have purchased because they like buying pretty stuff that's fine, but if they bought it for the for the precision marking out that it provides, then those of us that know how to get precision with a stick of wood are probably going to speak up. The fact is you can get precise parts with a stick, a square and a knife, in fact, a far higher level of precision. You don't need to measure anything, you transfer from the parts, you use a story stick. it is extremely simple and its been around since they built the pyramids. The reason for discussion is to let those that don't know, know that there are alternatives. You don't need to spend money, you need to understand relationship's. If you want to buy fancy expensive stuff, that's great, but it is not needed to get precision. I thought the reason we are here is to share and learn.

Some Old men have a lot of knowledge to share, would you rather they not and just be agreeable to whatever is said. Not going to pass on much that way. Everything you do is great, perfect, way to go.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-29-2024 at 10:12 AM.

Shifting back from making value judgements based on who buys what, I have to agree that I find the item useful. I actually bought it when there was a 48" version for under $100, and I use it as a story stick quite a bit. Nice for taking measurements and transferring directly to the saw. It has definitely sped up dialing in pieces. The fact that they got rid of the shorter versions and make you go all-in on the most expensive one is unfortunate.

As a cheaper alternative, there is the Rockler Story Stick Kit. Just add your own dowel/T-track/square metal tubing. I suspect you could even add a self-adhesive tape to the square tubing to get you even closer.

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-story-stick-kit

I find the WP story sticks useful. I usually use it as only a 32" story stick, but sometimes there is a need for something longer.

Having the adjustable stops makes it easy to transfer the marks from the stick to the workpiece in an easy manner. There are a variety of arms for different layout tasks; though I mostly just use the simple tabs.

I really like it for domino layout, when I'm building multiples.

For me, it's not necessary, but it does make things more pleasant and go quicker than they otherwise wood.

It was $119 in 2017, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth over 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I have needed a long measuring tool that is rigid for checking square on doors (measuring the diagonals). I bought this a bit reluctantly because it is in three pieces and I don’t normally trust rulers that come apart. This is dead-on accurate and the joints where it comes together are precision milled and I love this tool.

https://youtu.be/CSB6o1yc7CY?si=at_zDASgroHjLXAk
    WP stuff rocks!

It's expensive as sin, but, just about everything out there these days costs a bunch. Even a steak at Outback is North of 30 bucks & a 22 ounce draft is $6.50

I'll have to look into this a bit more. I have a set of WP parallel guides and it looks like all I have to do is add a set of offset tabs for $25 & I can make a story stick out of it!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

If something made commercially has value to you, buy it. If it doesn’t have value to you, don’t buy it and use whatever method works well for you. These are personal choices. And I thank Malcolm for showing us this well made option and providing his comments. Personally, I would find this measuring tool attractive due to its multi project adaptability while retaining accuracy with easy setup. Yes, it’s an elevated story stick and one could make one for each project…if that’s what they prefer. But buying this does not make it wrong or worthless or stupid.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    People lets keep the derogatory and personal comments to ourselves and just deal with woodworking
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If something made commercially has value to you, buy it. If it doesn’t have value to you, don’t buy it and use whatever method works well for you. These are personal choices. And I thank Malcolm for showing us this well made option and providing his comments. Personally, I would find this measuring tool attractive due to its multi project adaptability while retaining accuracy with easy setup. Yes, it’s an elevated story stick and one could make one for each project…if that’s what they prefer. But buying this does not make it wrong or worthless or stupid.
    AMEN!!!

Jim

Plus 1.

Old Codger
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Plus 1.

Old Codger
    Are you going to add it to your signature?
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Are you going to add it to your signature?

Great idea
    Ron
    Old Codger
    In it for fun

Ha.
    I just looked up codger I think I could be one someday. I’m well over a half a century old so in between a whisper snapper and a codger I am.
    Aj