Thread: Stuck CBN wheel on Bench Grinder

Stuck CBN wheel on Bench Grinder

IMG_1544.jpgIMG_1545.jpgHi All,

Hoping this is the right forum as I have a bench grinder for turning. One of the CBN wheels on my bench grinder won't come off. I removed the washers, bolts etc. I removed the flange (I think that's what it's called, it's in the last picture) facing out but I can't get the wheel off the second flange. I can see the wheel move slightly but it just won't come off. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Luis Reyes; 04-29-2024 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Reyes View Post
    IMG_1544.jpgIMG_1545.jpgHi All,

Hoping this is the right forum as I have a bench grinder for turning. One of the CBN wheels on my bench grinder won't come off. I removed the washers, bolts etc. I removed the flange (I think that's what it's called, it's in the last picture) facing out but I can't get the wheel off the second flange. I can see the wheel move slightly but it just won't come off. Any suggestions?
    If it was me, I would use 2 similar sized wedges, place them parallel but on opposite sides of the arbor (capture the arbor shaft between them) and gently tap each one trying to apply equal and balanced pressure on the wheel.. I would not go hog wild on the pressure ie, don't drive them with a sledge hammer.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-30-2024 at 12:15 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Penetrating oil plus time, heat (heat gun or torch) and vibration (careful tapping with a hammer). If that doesn't suffice try to find a bearing puller, use wedges as Ken suggests , or try to suspend the wheel on parallel blocks and drive off the shaft. Access can be a problem when pulling or pushing wheels like that so your best bet may be penetrating oil and patience.

How about a pulley puller?
    Edit: it would have to be a large one or something shop made maybe.

Hopefully the wheel has not spun on the bushing and galled the surfaces. Start with penetrating oil or a mixture of transmission fluid and acetone. You might try a few taps with a dead blow mallet after the oil has had time to soak.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I tried Ken’s wedge method first and that got the CNN wheel off. The flange is still stuck IMG_1555.jpgI'll try penetrating oil. I do recall when running the grinder it sounded like one of the wheels wasn't fully aligned but after 2 seconds they both sounded the same when running so I didn't bother to look into it.
    Last edited by Luis Reyes; 04-30-2024 at 4:36 PM.