Thread: Woodturning lathe for young adult nephews?

Woodturning lathe for young adult nephews?

I'm planning to purchase a small woodturning lathe for a young adult nephew that expressed in an interest in the craft. The Jet 10" that I had and sold seemed more than capable for a beginner. Any other suggestions? The nephew is more than 1500 miles away so it would have to be shipped to him.

Steve, that Jet is a good beginner's lathe. That's what I was gifted and started on. If he lives near a Wood Craft store, you could purchase it through that store and have him pick it up and save on shipping. I did that for one that I gifted to a member of the US Navy.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Steve, that Jet is a good beginner's lathe. That's what I was gifted and started on. If he lives near a Wood Craft store, you could purchase it through that store and have him pick it up and save on shipping. I did that for one that I gifted to a member of the US Navy.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the nephew's location is some distance from a Woodcraft or Rockler store. The upside is that free shipping is available by some of the retailers. My previous Jet 1014 didn't have variable speeds without changing the belt. It didn't bother me but I don't want to throw an unnecessary obstacle in front of a new woodturner for the sake of a few extra dollars. Then again, I don't want to spend more than to get this lad started. Any thoughts on that? Would any of the other makers of mini lathes, i.e Rikon, Nova, etc. be worth considering?

I don't know about the Nova, but between the Rikon and Jet, I would prefer the Jet based on my experience it both. I have a friend who seems more than happy with the Turncrafter Lathe he got from Penn State Industries. It wouldn't be my first choice, but he has used his alot and seems happy with it. Another option would be to check Facebook Marketplace or other used equipment listing in the area your nephew lives to see if one is available. Might be a good way to pick up some accessories to go with it.
    Last edited by Bob Vavricka; 05-01-2024 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the nephew's location is some distance from a Woodcraft or Rockler store. The upside is that free shipping is available by some of the retailers. My previous Jet 1014 didn't have variable speeds without changing the belt. It didn't bother me but I don't want to throw an unnecessary obstacle in front of a new woodturner for the sake of a few extra dollars. Then again, I don't want to spend more than to get this lad started. Any thoughts on that? Would any of the other makers of mini lathes, i.e Rikon, Nova, etc. be worth considering?
    Steve, I couldn't comment about others. I was gifted by a bunch of turner Creekers with the "Bomb" a Jet 10" EVS. I suppose you could search for the thread concerning the bombing run as they called it. Later I upgraded to a Powermatic PM-3520B. I passed the Jet on to a CPO serving in Colorado Springs but though it was packed in a double-walled box, Fedex destroyed it. I live about 3 blocks from the Fedex office here and professionally I picked up parts or shipped parts there 3-12 times a week so I was well known. When the guy refused delivery due to damage, Fedex shipped it back. I had taken photos of it in the box prior to shipping it. I opened the damaged goods at the Fedex office. After I got copies of the bills of sale on everything in the box including the lathe, Fedex reimbursed me completely. I ordered a new from the Woodcraft in Colorado Springs and the recipient picked up a new lathe there. I shipped him the tools and stuff that were still useable from the box.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Just send him money and have him buy local. Shipping is really expensive!

Don't know where your nephew is located, but you might consider reaching out to AAW (American Assn. of Woodturners) chapter or IAP (International Assn. of Penturners) that are closest to where he lives. Often can find members with lathes available for sale, especially smaller lathes--so you may find a machine local to him that is well-loved. Even if the nearest club(s) are an hour or more away, there may be members that live fairly close. Side benefit is that it may also get him pipelined into one of those organizations and the hand-on workshops or mentorships that are available nearby. If that topic came up in our club (90 minute drive for me), i'd be one of at least 5 members who'd offer a midi for reasonable cost.
    Good luck!!

Home Depot sells small lathes on their website and offers free delivery. Simply have it shipped directly to your nephew's address or pick up at his local HD (assuming that is a reasonable distance option). I see the 10" EV Jet offered on the HD website. Grizzly is another option for direct shipment of equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Don't know where your nephew is located, but you might consider reaching out to AAW (American Assn. of Woodturners) chapter or IAP (International Assn. of Penturners) that are closest to where he lives. Often can find members with lathes available for sale, especially smaller lathes--so you may find a machine local to him that is well-loved. Even if the nearest club(s) are an hour or more away, there may be members that live fairly close. Side benefit is that it may also get him pipelined into one of those organizations and the hand-on workshops or mentorships that are available nearby. If that topic came up in our club (90 minute drive for me), i'd be one of at least 5 members who'd offer a midi for reasonable cost.
    Good luck!!
    Good idea! I tried to contact the closest AAW Chapter (Normal, IL) but they don't seem to be very active. Their website didn't allow me to contact them. I'll keep trying to see if there's a member nearby that can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Good idea! I tried to contact the closest AAW Chapter (Normal, IL) but they don't seem to be very active. Their website didn't allow me to contact them. I'll keep trying to see if there's a member nearby that can help.
    Chicago chapter of IAP is pretty active, with plenty of members in the Joliet/Kankakee zone. Would be worth checking in there as well. Good luck!!