Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy Scouting is good

Talking Boy Scouting is good

Morning all,

I've got to brag a little bit on my youngest son. This is a picture of his Eagle Scout project. The concept for his project was started last February and finally came to fruition on Thursday evening when these were delivered.

He came up with the idea of making 2 bookcase/cabinets for a Shelter for Battered Women. The 2 of us met with the managers of the shelter and they provided enough information to allow him to come up with a plan for these.

He was responsible for soliciting donations from various organizations and individuals to fund the project. Also, he was to have members of his Troop come and help with the construction of the cabinets.

Through several weekends we had various Boy Scouts of differing ages come to the shop to help. (Ever try to keep 4 12yo scouts busy in a shop and keep them from sword fighting with your chisels?)

Anyways, His Board of Review has to be done by August 8th, (His 18th birthday and last chance) if he passes his Board, He will be my 3rd son to attain the Rank of Eagle Scout!!!!!!

Way proud Dad for sure.

He is a Member of Troop 49, Rainbow Council, New Lenox, IL.

Thanks for taking a minute to read this.

Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations Roger. You must be proud, it takes a lot of fortitude, persistence, and patience. I wish we could see more young folks understanding the value of community service and goal setting.

Bruce Foley

Awesome on a number of counts. I don't see why your son wouldn't pass his board review. Cabinets look great, and you have every reason to be an extremely proud parent. I look forward to similar projects with my two boys (3.5 and 2).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Fantastic!

You have every right to be a "Proud Papa"! Your Son should be very proud as well. That is an outstanding project, with excellent results. The Bookcase/Cabinets look awesome! Very nice work indeed. I couldn't think of a better Eagle Scout Project. I am sure the Women at the Shelter, and the Administration, will be very grateful. The board review should be a breeze with such an outstanding and worthwhile project. Congratulations to the new Eagle Scout! Glad to have you join us at the Creek Roger!

Thumbs up

I know you are proud of your son and his acomplishments. You told us everything overlooking only one small point. What is your son's name???? Duh!
    Every deed plants a seed.

Except for a few of you, I was probably scouting while you were in diapers. It was one of the most "directing" experiences of my upbringing. I'm glad to hear it is still going strong. I barely made Eagle and appreciate the effort it takes.

I would be proud too!

David

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Turnbough
    He came up with the idea of making 2 bookcase/cabinets for a Shelter for Battered Women. The 2 of us met with the managers of the shelter and they provided enough information to allow him to come up with a plan for these.

He was responsible for soliciting donations from various organizations and individuals to fund the project. ...
    As an Eagle Scout, let me extend my hearty congratulations to your son for completing such a worthy project!! I, like many other posters, am certain that the Board of Review is a mere formality at this point.

Please allow me to make a few suggestions. Get a pair of small brass plaques and engrave them with words along these lines: "Eagle Scout Project, Scout Joe Eagle, <date>. Donated to Shelter <name>." You might also include the major sponsors, if any. Screw these onto the front of the bookcase where shelter residents can see them. Take SEVERAL pictures of the project, and especially of the bookcases after they are installed. Get a professional copy (8"x10" or larger) of the best picture. Put all of these AND a write-up of the project in a nice leather-bound notebook. This notebook becomes a portfolio your son can use whenever he is interviewing for jobs. The project is an excellent showcase of his creativity, leadership, and service skills.

Be proud, Roger. As I recall, only 1 of 100 scouts ever make it to Eagle. To get three sons to that lofty position reflects a lot of credit on you, your wife, and your community.

Cheers,
    Bob
    Eagle Scout, BSA 1978
    pen-turner and aspiring cabinet-maker

Congrats to You and Your Son Roger

I remember how hard it was to meet all the requirements to become an Eagle Scout and How proud both my Dad and I were when I made it. I still have all the pictures from the court of honor and from my trip to the 1964 National Jamboree in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania. Make sure you save the program, all pictures and all the newspaper clippings.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

As a Fellow Eagle Scout I wanted to say nice work and congrats as well. I regularly drive by where my Eagle project still stands. ( a Play place for a school near where I live). It's sure to help open doors and be a source of pride for many years to come

Randy

Nice story Roger. Welcome..... you'll fit right in here at Sawmill Creek. Dave.

Blog Entries

Good project!

he has my vote! Those cabinets look good. Hope it all works out for him. I had one son, one Eagle Scout!
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Roger,

That's beautiful. You two look so proud, and he did such a good thing.

- Ed
    (former Life scout)

Roger,

Please pass my congratulations on to your son. Becoming an Eagle Scout is a rare achievement these days. It is one of the few things that can be earned as a youth and later placed on a resume when applying for jobs. It shows initiative, hard work, leadership, and maturity. Of couse, since I got mine in 1975, I am just a little biased.

Hey, if you can send him to Philmont, do it. Great place, great programs. I worked there 3 years, and they were the best summer jobs of my life. He can apply for staff if he is 18. He might be able to earn more money at home, but the experience is priceless.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Eagle Scout

The day before my 18th birthday was by far the most stressful day of my life. I had already completed my eagle project and still had not done *6* required merit badges. I skipped school that day and drove from one counselor's house to another completing these merit badges. It was an absolutely terrible day. Having seen all the work I put into it, my father was very upset that I may end up not getting it. I really thought that I wouldn't get it either. I even had dry heaves throughout the day.

Aside from that, scouting was great. I didn't miss a meeting or outing for seven years. Philmont is still one of my greatest childhood memories (not too far off, I'm 26).

-Dave

Congratulations to you and your son, My Mom was the first 3 eagle scout mother is the phoenix area council. I know i is as much work for the parents to keep the motivation up. but it is still the only award I have received that I cherish.

The service project looks awesome they will be well received and will be lasting reminders for him.

Congratulations again job well done.

Roger Fitzsimonds
    eagle scout 1968