Thread: Simple Green Followup

Simple Green Followup

I mentioned in my earlier thread that I was going to contact SG directly. I did and below is the response I received. If you want the files she mentions, PM me and I will forward them to you. For me, I am going to continue doing what I have been doing with the product, dilute, spray and rinse. I never soak anything anyway. Hope you find this helpful.

Dear Mr. Trantham:
    Thank you for your inquiry.
    Simple Green has been used to clean carbide blades for many, many years - because it does a good job of breaking down wood resins and sap.

However, the Kennametal Cobalt Leach Test shows that restriction should be placed on using Simple Green to clean carbide tooling. Blades should never be soaked in Simple Green, and we have never recommended that this be done.

Utilization of Simple Green at a 1:10 dilution ratio with water, sprayed on, scrubbed, and rinsed off, should not cause any damage or deterioration to carbide blades. With proper dilution and rinsing, there is not a cumulative effect of cleaning with Simple Green. Problems arise with too strong a solution being left on the carbide blade or tool for too long. Soaking should always be avoided.

In the past year (2005) Sunshine Makers, Inc. has developed and marketed a product called Extreme Simple Green. This product is a non-corrosive, non-embrittling product that has passed a variety of metals corrosion and embrittlement tests. Several of these tests are attached to this email.

I would recommend switching away from original Simple Green and choosing, instead, Extreme Simple Green. Blades can be soaked in this product without ill effect. The best dilution ratio for doing this is 1-part-Extreme to 3-parts-water. This same ratio can be used for spraying, scrubbing, and rinsing blades - or higher dilutions of as much as 1:9 can be used for this kind of application.
    Extreme Simple Green is currently readily available online at Aircraft Spruce and Grainger.

I hope that this information is helpful to you. Thanks again for contacting us and for choosing Simple Green products.

Sincerely,
    Carol Chapin
    Environmental & Regulatory Director
    Sunshine Makers, Inc. / SIMPLE GREEN
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

That is what I do, I use it on blades and router bits, have for years. I never soak, just shoot it on and wait 5 minutes and that is plenty of time.

Corey

Byron, thanks for the follow up and the information. I hope everyone found it as helpful as I and appreciate your efforts.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Byron,

thanks for this post... last time I cleaned my TS blade, I soaked it overnight
    in 100% Simple Green. I will not do that again.

thanks,

Howie