Thread: What to use here?

What to use here?

I just turned two segmented Peppermills and I am wondering what the most durable finish would be, since they will have a lot of handling? I was thinking Lacquer but I'm not sure that is my best choice.

Chuck Hans

as much as i hate to say it...........poly.....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I agree w/Tod. Almost hurts to say it but, poly would be the obvious choice, IMHO. I would, however, go with a wipe-on like Arm-R-Seal or similar, which doesn't leave as much of a "plastic" look to it.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Thanks Guys, I definately don't want the plastic look, I will go with the wipe on finish. I am going to coat the inside with shellac to seal it.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hans
    Thanks Guys, I definately don't want the plastic look, I will go with the wipe on finish. I am going to coat the inside with shellac to seal it.
    You can get wipe on poly in satin or semi gloss, or simply dilute poly you have on hand 50/50 with mineral spirits or naphta.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

You really don't need to sink as low as poly. A traditional resin varnish, alkyd or phenolic will be fully protective enough, and helps avoid the plastic look. A bit easier to repair if need be. Pepper mills get handled a lot, but not seriously abused or walked on. Frankly, poly is only needed for floors. I should add it can be a wipe-on. Bought that way like Waterlox, or made by addition of a few good dollops of thinner.

In fact, I used shellac on some I made at Christmas. Just have to avoid using strong cleaners on them, but I wouldn't do that anyway. Not like kitchen cabinets in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene

In fact, I used shellac on some I made at Christmas. Just have to avoid using strong cleaners on them, but I wouldn't do that anyway. Not like kitchen cabinets in that regard.
    Steve, shellac is one of my favorites for "spinny" stuff but, the thing about this particular case is that, a pepper mill may be subject to an area where it can easily get "splashed" or handled by someone with alcohol on their hand(s). Yes, much more "repairable" than poly but, I'm thinking the poly shouldn't need to be repaired under normal table use. Just MHO...
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I pretty much agree that shellac is a risk here that many wouldn't want to take.

My main point really should be that the added protection of poly, compared to traditional resin varnishes is small and mostly concentrated in the area of abrasion resistance. Just about any event that will "ding" varnish will also "ding" poly. Behlen Rockhard or Pratt & Lambert 38 are both pretty darn protective.

I would still use Shellac for this kind of project, but agree that a wipe-on varnish or even Deft lacquer in the spray can are also excellent choices. "Poly" varnish isn't necessary, but if it's all you have, it will work just fine, too...wiped on for simplicity.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...