Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trend Airshield Issue

I love my Trend, and it has helped me with not breathing the dust! But they need to do something with the packs they don't last very long and they could use better cells and a better charger to improve this!
    I got 4 sets that were made and a new charger that charges the packs in about 30-60 min rather than half a day plus they last about 5-6 x longer!
    Last edited by Jim Ketron; 02-08-2006 at 10:49 PM.
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

"I got 4 sets that were made and a new charger that charges the packs in about 30-60 min rather than half a day plus they last about 5-6 x longer!"

Jim...Can you tell us who/how/where you got these? I think the Airshield is actually a well made and very important "tool"...if we can solve or get around the battery issue.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ramsey
    Dang, dang, dang! Was thinking about getting one of these for my
    birthday in March, guess I will wait..
    I am with you Mike. I too thought I would go ahead and buy a unit but, had planned to buy from my local Woodcraft. But, if there is this much trouble I think I will wait. For this kind of money I want the bugs worked out before I get it...

I hate to revive an old thread, but when I got home this afternoon there was a package waiting for me. Yep, the Airshield did not get cancelled as requested.

I went ahead an opened it up to check things out. The battery included is the new version as shown in Carole's picture on the right. I went ahead an pluged the charger in and think I will give it a test drive before passing judgement and returning it immediately. I sure do like the design and intent of the device. If it works as well as advertised and claimed by those that are happy with theirs, I am going to keep it. Looks like the answer to many many problems.

Thanks for allowing me to ramble

Bob...After using the Airshield this weekend I love it. I was amazed at how much dust it filtered out during a 2 hour session and I actually forgot it was on after a few minutes.

Now...I am not happy with Trend or ToolPro's customer service and I just had my say to them just before I read your post.

When I get some time I'm going to look at how to build batteries for the Airshield. I did a quick check and I think we can have a longer lasting and much cheaper alternative. If I do...I'll pass it along.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I got one and I like it. I don't wear one long enough to wear out the battery at any one time. Besides that who can wear one for 4 hours straight without a break.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    I got one and I like it. I don't wear one long enough to wear out the battery at any one time. Besides that who can wear one for 4 hours straight without a break.
    Dennis,

Are you saying you need more shop time?

Glenn,

I would love to see anything that you come up with. I may find true value in this after all. Please keep me posted.
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 02-14-2006 at 8:20 PM.

I was getting about3 hrs with my trend airshield. last summer i rigged a battery pac with 3 D alkali batterys, using connectors from Radio sack. I carry the battery pac in my shirt pocket. I don't know how many hrs I got, but it was about 6 months. I try to work about 20 hr a week. I will get a set of D rechargables in the near future.
    Earl

Trend Troubles

Rob, when you say, "cracking shield around the base of the face mask", are you talking about the flexible seal that contacts your face? Or the light gray plastic frame?
    Carole (gee, I cannot see you behind all that lumber), my Trend batteries are like the RIGHT one in your pic (with the trend name on it). Both of my batteries supplied intermittent power, but when I disassembled them I found the wires were all loose inside. Repaired that and they work fine. They were a rather snug fit in the helmet due to the length of the connector, but that is also fixable inside the battery case.
    I bought mine from Osolnik Machinery and Supplies, and these folks are great to work with!! Other than all that, I am soooooo glad that I have, and use the Trend AirShield.

I received my Triton powered respirator this week (after a 2-month delay). Everyone has that one on sale for $199.95 and Triton could not supply. However, the unit arrived and appears so far to be in working order.

Somehow I'm glad that I didn't buy the Trend model.
    Fred

"Precision woodscraps"

Fred...
    Give a review when you get a chance.

I really do like the Airshield because it's so functional...but if people knew how other sytems work they can make a good decision. I don't want people to make a judgement on my problem. The need to use a product of this kind is important and the purchase should be informed...not biased.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Hi All,

After reading this I feel my 3M AS-400 purchase was justified. It is about three times the cost of the others but it has performed flawlessly. The battery seems to last forever. The battery pack attaches to your belt so it reduces the weight on your head and has an OSHA approved hardhat. Not being able to put the trend on a hardhat was the deal breaker for me.

I bought it from Enviro Safety Products and had great customer service.
    http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/.../airstream.htm

I have really bad allergies and an ocassional asthma attack and just wasn't convinced by the numbers that the others put out. That may be on me due to my inability to convert the metric units the other used to SAE units for direct comparison to the AirStream.

Remember it is not just your lungs but our eyes and head you need to protect.

Also 3M has been around forever and I don't see them going anywhere.

Someones sig line goes something like the bitterness of poor quality last long after the sweetness of a low price has passed.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Charles, was wondering about the weight of the 3m and how it
    would affect your neck after turning all day looking down?

15. I might as well jump in here, I am looking for something along these lines, I can get the Triton unit here in Japan, and I've been lucky enough to get to know the Triton rep here from Oz.

Why is the Trend so popular, and why is the Triton not?

Cheers!