Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey - it works!

Hey - it works!

Yesterday my "under a year old" Shop Vac burnt up while I had it hooked to my PC ROS.......to say the least - I was choked so when I did a little ranting to Tod Evans, he asked me if I had a DC.

"Yup - but the hose is too big"

"Then make something to reduce the size of the hose to fit your Vacuum hose"

"Hey - I am not a guy......I don't do engineering"

"Take a piece of plywood and duck tape - cut a hole in the ply for the vac hose and duct tape it do the DC hose" (or something along those lines)

"You mean similar to a ballast gate thingy"

"You got it girl"

So this is what I came up with. Pretty simple and it wasn't for the fact that I cut out the threaded part that belonged to the shop vac tank and glued and screwed it to the plywood so I could use the hose for other things (eventually, a floor sweep connected to the DC), I wouldn't bother showing it. Thanks Tod for the idea.....hope this meets your approval.

Yes. Whatever works for ya. Good idea!

A very creative solution to an infuriating problem. Nicely done!!! You sure are not an engineer... Are there Eskimo engineers? LOL LOL
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Shelley,

Quick.... slap a patent on that thing

Good job!

Looks like a mighty fine job Shelley. Looks like it will work fine.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

WAY TO GO SHELLEY!!!!! YOU DA MAN.........UHHHHMMMMM.........WO-MAN!

Nice job. Nice and clean looking.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Now that is creative thinking (engineering). Nice job

that sucks, (i hope) when you`re 80 miles and 100 bucks short ya improvise. so why aint you sanding? looks like it oughta work...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Nice bit of engineering, Shelley. But a technical question for the dust collection experts: I recall reading here on SMC that a DC and a shop vac are very different in that the DC is designed to clear dust by moving a high volume of air rather than by creating lots of suction, whereas the shop vac is meant to pull a high static pressure. Does this mean that using the DC hooked to a sander is not quite the way to go (no offense Shelley). Could it also hurt the DC by starving it for air?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Blaustein
    Nice bit of engineering, Shelley. But a technical question for the dust collection experts: I recall reading here on SMC that a DC and a shop vac are very different in that the DC is designed to clear dust by moving a high volume of air rather than by creating lots of suction, whereas the shop vac is meant to pull a high static pressure. Does this mean that using the DC hooked to a sander is not quite the way to go (no offense Shelley). Could it also hurt the DC by starving it for air?
    rob, it may not suck enough, but as for hurting the d/c not likely they`re maxing out on amps when they`re wide open not restricted....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Hey Rob...no offense what so ever........great question. I really don't want to be blowing my DC up so I am real interested in the answers. Thanks all for the kudos on the little thingy (what do you call it - a ballast - a reducer?) I have been sanding and it seems to be working just fine.....honestly - as well as the shop vac. The sun is shining through the windows right above my sanding station and I see no visible dust particles in the air .......unlike yesterday when I was sanding with just the canister attached to the sander.

Shelley, way to go! Nothing like problem solving to get ya' going for the day.

With regard to Rob's question,

I hooked mine up to the DC and found it did a fine job.

I tried an experiment and opened another blast gate close to the one that I have the sander hooked to. It worked a little bit better.

Then I opened another gate and found that it moved enough air that my tiny 14X16 shop has a negative air pressure and keep suspended particulates out of the air as well as picking up the sanding dust.

By the way, Good job Shelly... I think your gonna' love it.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

I do a similar thing all the time connecting my disc, belt and spindle sander. Haven't done anything to the DC yet. The suction appears to be weak but it works. No noticeble dust when using the above machines.
    Rob

Some days I get plane board with woodworking. Other days I want to walk the plank. Most days better than the corporate board room!

The DC will be fine...tod is correct that maximum air flow is when the DC motor is drawing the highest amperage. Your setup has minimum air flow. This isn't the best application for the DC due to its nature, but if it's working...no problem!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...