Thread: Attention all Creekers ...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Attention all Creekers ...

If you ever have the opportunity to meet and spend some time with Keith and Aaron, don't pass it up! I was able to get over to Keith's shop and meet both of these gentlemen this morning. I was interested in some laser engraving and knew nothing about it. I took some turned boxes and had them do a sample for me. It turned out great. In the meantime, they took the time to show me different projects and ideas they had worked on, to give me some ideas on what I might like to do. It was facinating. Here are a couple of the items they did for me. My wife loves the work. One's a turned basswood box and the other is a small alder plaque with the In-Laws picture engraved. They put their business signature on the back along with a sentiment from me to SWMBO. These are truely two first class fellas. Thanks for looking, have fun and be safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks, Ron

Fantastic!

Job well done. Steve

That's pretty cool, Ron. I'll be meeting them at the 5 Barns, but I don't know when I might make it to VA. Hope to sometime. Mighty fine work there on both accounts!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
    ...One's a turned basswood box ...
    Keith & Aaron,

I thought that a laser engraver could NOT handle round objects. Obviously, Ron's turned box takes a very nice engraving. I have a possible commission for a turned gavel. The client would like to engrave a name, date, and the "office" of the intended recipient. Is this a possibility? What types of wood would best take such an engraving?

Cheers,
    Bob

Note to Moderator: I'm asking about this here since Ron started the thread. If I need to take this question over to the Laser Engraving forum, just let me know.
    pen-turner and aspiring cabinet-maker

Engraving Round Projects

Bob,

Most modern laser engravers have an optional accessory available for rotary work. I purchased a rotary attachment with my engraver.

I can't give you a comprehensive list but these are the species of wood that I have done and I know engrave well.

Cherry, Alder, Walnut, Maple, Hickory, Purpleheart, Mahogany and Basswood.

The engraving quality varies depending on the resin content in the wood and obviously light colored woods provide more contrast. Although Oak will engrave the density changes make it a poor choice for intricate engraving...line art does reasonably well in oak cabinet doors.

Your gavel should be engraved before you join the handle to the main body. We have found that we are able to incorporate engraving in many of our projects if we think ahead and plan for the engraving steps. Text and graphics will both engrave very well on your gavel, and you can easily incorporate inlay type work as well...flat or round.

If you can't locate a local engraver let me know, Aaron and I can provide design and engraving services for SawMill Creek members without fear of losing our status here at the Creek You could say that we are the "Official Engravers" for SawMill Creek, however we do have another member (George Skinner) who owns a laser engraver.