Thread: Need help with hinges on inset cabinet doors

Need help with hinges on inset cabinet doors

I was tasked with building a hutch that had inset doors and concealed hinges. I bought the hinges pictured, the label on the package was "Blum Mini Inset Hinges". I have installed one of the doors and the gap between the door and the post is huge. The picture includes a screwdriver for scale. I can move the adjusting screws to bring the door close to the post, but if I get it any closer than is shown in the picture, the door will hit the post and will not open.

Have I installed incorrectly, or did I buy the wrong hinges?

I bought the hinges at Rockler, and I just found the web page for these particular hinges,
    http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=5265
    Towards the bottom, they show the exact installation I used with the same instructions that were included with the package.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Jones III; 02-10-2006 at 9:33 AM.

I think I had a problem similar to your's a couple of years ago. As I remember I even called Blum Tech. and think it has something to do with the "mini" hinge design (I think the full size hinge will give a smaller gap).

Also, you probably already checked but are the hinge holes in the door the right distance from the edge of the door.

Follow up, after making several experiments on scrap and still not being able to get good results, I went back to rocklers. They had a diplay of all the Blum hinges and the hinges I bought had the gap on the display as well. I thought they simply had not taken the time to make the display have a small gap, but it turns out that particular hinge cannot close up the gap when used with inset doors. The movement is wrong for small gap and inset. There is no indication of this on any packaging that I can see. I only came to this conclusion after examining the display rack closely. I ended up buying the 120* opening hinge and it installed perfectly in minutes and works great.