Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I - shouldn't I? That is the question

Blog Entries

Should I - shouldn't I? That is the question

Well, got back from having our taxed done tonight and while we were fully expecting a nice refund, Uncle Sam was nice to us again and while I had no particular direction for the money, I do have a machine that I have been slightly intrigued about for a while and I want to get some opinions.

I am thinking of buying a nice scroll saw. Now, the way I'm thinking, the scroll saw isn't an "everyday" machine that you would use in the normal woodworking shop. It is more, again - to my way of thinking - a specialty machine that does certain things, but does them well. You can really dress some projects up with what you can turn out on a scroll saw. And you can really do some nice Christmas ornaments with a scroll saw. It presents an opportunity to experiment with a different avenue of woodworking. But would the money expended for a upper level scroll saw be worth it?

There would be no problem finding another way to upgrade the shop with the kind of money I would spend on the scroll saw. But the machine does intrigue me and I think it would be some fun. I'm looking for some advice, either way, from those out there who have and/or use scroll saws. Also, what are some ideas of what the possibilities are.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Fred,

Agreed, there are definitely some things a scrollsaw does better than any other tool. IMHO, if you've not used one before, look for a cheaper one. I was able to pick up an old 24" model at an auction for $20. At that price, I was able to use it and decide if my projects really do require having the tool in the shop. If not, I suspect I can get most of my money out of it.

Matt

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Hold out your hand Bad Fred Bad.
    Uncle was not good to you, you were way too good to him, giving the IRS an interest free loan for all those months.
    God I love America, but they don't know how to manage money. You should have a good idea now what your taxes ate going to be next year. And plan to owe nothing ore a very little. loan uncle Sam is a bad investment.
    You could fill that shop with all kinds of good stuff with proper money management.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Fred, while I agree with Tyler, money management that is not the purpose of this thread. I have, or I should say my wife has a scroll saw. Its a rigid 16" model that was judged a best buy by one of the wood magazines a few years ago. The price was reasonable and it is a fairly nice machine. She uses it occasionally, but I hate it. I use a coping saw to do anything that I would possibly want to do on that vibrating monster. I understand that's the nature of scroll saws, but I think this is one tool where you should look at the higher end of the market instead of the lower. I understand there are some very nice, smooth running saws out there.
    Dennis

I purchased a Dewalt schroll for my son to make small projects. A friend loaned his Delta saw. It was the machine from hell. The Dewalt was the big end of $500.00 and worth every cent. It is smooth, quiet and a snap to change blades. He and my nephew have logged over 150 hrs on the machine so far. Try one, you will like it.
    Jim

Fred - I have a 20 year old +/- Craftsman scrollsaw that ran just fine the last time I fired it up about 12 years ago.

It's yours for the UPS charge if interested.

Might be a good way to decide if you like it.
    Only the Blue Roads

Sweet jeebus, Andy,

Are you addicted to giving things away? I only wish I could afford to be as generous as you.

Fred,

We have some very talented scroll saw owners here at SMC. I expect that they will tell you that with scroll saws there is no low or middle of the road saws, the high-end saws are the only option if you really want to do serious scroll saw projects. Amost anything less than high-end will most likely be in the saw-from-hell catagory and beat you to death.

I purchased three scroll saws and gave all three away, didn't have the heart to sell them to anyone. My current saw is a very old Delta that was given to me after it was retired from a local machine shop so it was really built for metal work. In spite of its age the machine works well but it isn't in a league with the really fine saws available today like the Hegner or the Excalibur saws.

Before you purchase a scroll saw you really need to use it, there is no substitute for time using the machine and it only takes a few minutes to eliminate the bad ones IMO.

I have been very happy with the dewalt scroll saw... seems pretty well designed and I have used it a ton

lou

Scroll saws

My nieghbor came over the other day and showed me some reliefs of lighthouse clocks her mom had made with a scroll saw. It was incredible how nice they were. A scroll saw is on my most wanted list!!!!! I'll post a pic later.

My wife has the Dewalt - we got it at a show a while back and it is a nice machine. I believe that the design is an "Excaliber" - a saw with a decent reputation - I could be wrong here, its been a while.

A good friend has one of the RBI saws I think they are called HAWK now. He says it is a great saw but expensive.

Good luck.

I suppose it is what I'm used to, as we have a Delta 16" in the shop, but that is what I'll be picking up when I tool up the new shop this spring. If I had the extra cash I'd spring for the dewalt DW788. For the money, everything I've read says that is the best 'budget' saw around. I've seen but not used the Hegner and higher end saws, you'd have to be a serious scroller to afford one of those.
    The DW788 though, is one fine machine. Do you still have that skill-builder I gave you? if not, let me know I'll copy it again and send it down.
    Ned

2B1ASK1

I'm not a big scroller, but have the Dewalt and am very happy with it. Something not everyone knows, but the Dewalt was designed by Sommerville, the folks that make the Excalibur. In fact, up until 2003, Sommerville built the machine for Dewalt. I have one of those. I have not used one of the Far East versions so can't say if there's a difference. But, if I were buying one now, I'd look for a well-kept pre-2003 Dewalt. You could probably get a nice deal on it.
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

I think the use you would see from a scroll saw depends on the kinds of projects you like to do. If you are into small, intricate detail, then you would probably enjoy a scroll saw. If you prefer building furniture and cabinetry, then maybe a scroll saw is not for you at this time. I had a cheap one and never used it - sold it a few years ago and have not missed it. I took a class recently in marquetry and inlay techniques, and I can readily see that a scroll saw would be a requirement for that kind of work. So my answer to your question is - it depends.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Scrollsaw

Fred I agree with some of the other posts. I bought a new Delta several years ago. After sitting for a couple years I gave it to my Dad. I think it just sits there too. Make sure you really want to do the detail work it's made for or you might watch it collect dust also. Mark