Thread: New toy, but no proof yet

New toy, but no proof yet

Well, I picked up a Fisch mini lathe at the WWing show. Came with the bed extension for 299. Its not VS, but since the whole compartment covering the pulleys and belt is hinged, it looks like it will be easy to change speeds.

I've got a $10 off coupon for Taunton's too. Which book would you recommend? I've never turned anything. I'll probably start with pens, and then we'll see.

I'm not going to set the thing up till I get a couple of my other projects completed. I also want to figure out what kind of stand I want to build, where to put it, tools, what mask/faceplate, if I can rig up some sort of DC etc.

SWMBO actually encouraged the purchase. 'Course, her favorite color is blue, and she is a bit of a pen geek...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

As far as the book goes, anything by Richard Raffin would be good. Congrats on the new lathe and we will be looking for plenty of examples of your work.

Gary, Where you all weekend I looked for a fellow ww'er that was about 4' tall and had all his hair about 8yrs old, but I didn't see any???

Jim
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Jim, I was there for a couple hours today. From about noon to two. Saw Tom and he told me about the trebuchet contest, that could be interesting.

When I'm on my knees, I am about 4 ft tall.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Gary....get the Raffin video Turning Wood from Taunton! He gives some very easy to learn techniques and projects!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Congratulations Gary! I have a bunch of projects I have to get finished too. They've been sitting for almost a year. Probably sit there another year...and another.....
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I have seen that lathe advertised, it looks like a great one! I like the hinged access, that would make changes faster than on mine. I think yours comes with a 60 degree live center in addition.
    Congrats!
    Corey

Gary,

Welcome to the Black Hole.

If you are going to start with pens (I did as well as many others do) I would look at the DVD from Arizona Silhouette by Bill Baumbeck. It is one of the best pen teaching tools out there. You can also go to the PSI site and request their free pen turning DVD which comes with a $10 off coupon from your first purchase from them as well. Use your Taunton coupon on Richard Raffin's book, Turning Wood.

The best advice I can offer is, don't buy anything for pen making until you have seen the videos and checked with pen turner's in the know here at SMC which can give you alternatives in saving money on accessories.

Congrats on the lathe purchase and look forward to learning more with you.

Last edited by Bob Noles; 02-12-2006 at 6:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    I have seen that lathe advertised, it looks like a great one! I like the hinged access, that would make changes faster than on mine. I think yours comes with a 60 degree live center in addition.
    Congrats!
    Corey
    Hey Corey.... yours came with the 60* live center too.

You just need to practise your "quick draw" on that belt changing door

Gary I am a new turner also and found these books and video's a great start. One is Woodturning: A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley (he has a video also) and Pen Turners Workbook by Barry Gross. Another good video is Chris Stott's Turning Boxes. I would also go to Penn State Industries website and get the free pen turning DVD. When their website opens it is towards the right middle. Richard Raffan books and DVD's are good but he goes a bit fast for me and he doesn't waste any time but that is just my opinion.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.