Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Good Morning,

Another weekend has come and gone. Very cool here this weekend so some time was spent feeding the woodstove in the house. Man, do we ever LOVE that new woodstove.!!!! The house is warm and we are warm in the winter for the 1st time in 6 years.

Spent sometime in the shop this weekend, mostly getting the Robland X-31 ready for it's new owner. I never realized just how many parts that come with that thing!!!!!

Cleaned up the shop some this weekend and I hauled out just over 450 gallons of lathe curlies that I've collected over the last several months.

Church on Sunday as usual and spent some time with the family last night watching all the winter olympics.....

Back to work today and dreading it already.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I spent the weekend getting my new Shop Fox DC set up. Had to make a trip back up to the WW show on Saturday and Sunday for some fittings, hose, etc. Also made a dust port that hangs off the back of my router extension. Works like a champ!

Had a great birthday dinner with DrLOML at our favorite special place. Got the DVR XP lathe up and running and turned my first spinny thing. See http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31132 Watched the Olympics (the HD pictures are simply awesome!), the wind blow and the snow fall from the comfort of home in front of the wood stove. Doesn't get much better than that.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Worked late Friday night. Spent Saturday morning just relaxing. Saturday afternoon I cleaned up the logistical mess that the LOML wanted cleaned up. Saturday eveing I rigged a bench and used the Bomb for the first time. Sunday, SWMBO wanted us to work in the yard but temperatures weren't condusive.........so she said go to the shop..........as I approached the door.........BTW........let's do our taxes.... I finally got to the shop for a couple of hours later that evening. Learned some things about turning. It was a nice quiet weekend! The next 3 weeks are going to be busy!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I chronicled my weekend in my shop rehab thread, so won't dkuplicate here. Dennis, I'm with you. At work for 2 1/2 hours already this am, and I'm not enjoying it!! Jim
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Actually, my weekend project had been accomplished some weekends ago but I couldn't take pics until yesterday. Apart from spending several hours sharpening my plane blades and chisels I built a new home for my belt sander. It was a pretty time consuming process to make the plywood base fit the Systainer.

Thanks for looking,

Christian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Worked on a new walnut hall table. Got the top veneered, the 2" wide edge glued on, and all the base pieces cut to size and shape. Tonight I'm hoping to get it assembled the rest of the way.

Finished these projects bed and tv tray then cleaned the shop. Glad found out I actually had a floor under the chips.
    Larry

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31152
    Last edited by Larry Crim; 02-13-2006 at 10:33 AM.

Well we had lots of snow on Sunday so I was stuck in the shop for most of the day. I'm finishing up a set of 12 drawers for the long bench in the shop. I also modified one of my roll around benches for use as a sheet cut off table for my new EZ Smart Guide system, posted in another thread. Then it was out to the tractor and plowing snow to get to the barn and out to the street. We had about 12" with alot of wind. Glad it was dry powder.
    Bob Nazro
    A Connecticut Yankee
    I've measured this three times and each time I cut it, it's still to short...

Finised up a large face-frame on Friday night. Sat worked on a smaller frame but will need to redo some of that due to what I suspect is a bad board. Sunday - SNOW removal. We Philly suburbanites are NOT setup to deal with the 12+" of snow that dumped on us on Sat night.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Good Morning,
    So what did YOU do this weekend?
    Morning, Dennis,

-SWMBO took the youngest off to her folks for the weekend, so I was solo-parenting the other three. Went fairly well.

- moved the kids furniture from one bedroom to another on Friday night. Next step will be pulling baseboard out of the vacant bdr, painting, ripping up carpet, laying laminate flooring. That might take a few weekends!

- Saturday morning had to make a quick run to work to deal with a crashed server. Argh. But then it was off to the tool store where I confirmed that Bayonet style blades for my Porter Cable jigsaw seem to be going the way of the dodo. Fortunately he found some for me at a close-by repair deptot.

- After that the four of us dropped by the local London Woodworking Show and wandered around for a few hours. Got to spend a few minutes with fellow creeker Dave Eisen, and chatted about his plans for his big Ash Table: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30743
    The kids enjoyed wandering around. Not a huge show, but still good. I visited the Delta/PC booth and won a golf shirt. Now I can walk around with a Delta/PC log on my chest -- now, who actually won? Or I could give it to my brother, we'll see.

- Yesterday morning took the kids to church and taught sunday school -- grade one kids can be a challenge to keep on topic!

In the afternoon I got to spend some time cleaning up the shop, and loaded some new 18% Tungsten HSS blades onto my Delta X5 jointer (new in December). Took a bit to figure that out, but the results are great. Got rid of the lengthwise ridges. (the stock blades must not be that great, or the SYP that I ran through it to test it must have had some grit or pin-knots in it that knicked the stock blades pretty thoroughly.)

In between the house updating over the next few weeks I've got a dollhouse bookcase in the planning stage for my 5-yr-old. Should keep me out of trouble.

And later this week I'm off to Michigan for a short trip. I'm looking forward to checking out the Grand Rapids Woodcraft. Hopefully they've got the same deal on Bessey clamps that the Austin store does, as I read about in another thread. But I won't hold my breath.

...art

As I hoped, on Saturday I was able to finish gutting the last room on the Victorian I am restoring before the snow really started to pile up. Spent Sunday morning shoveling and plowing 13" of the white stuff. Pales in comparison to some of the totals up North, but hey, they live up North! Thirteen inches is a pile for us Southern boys.

Spent Sunday afternoon, evening and part of last night back at the Victorian (which now houses our offices). Some yahoo in an SUV thought his ride could handle anything and proceeded to take down the utility pole across the street that provides our underground service drops. He took our power, 10 phone lines and internet T1 line along with it! But, my hat's off to Virginia Power and Verizon. I was concerned that since our building was the only location affected it would take a while for repairs. With a only a little coaxing, crews had a new pole installed and service restored by 10PM. Not bad!
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Got the new shelves for the laundry room built and up. Finally got to try out the new router, giving the shelves a decrotive edge (the LOML liked that). Felt like crap so didnt get them painted.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the very last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Got two sets of dovetail pins sawn. Didn't cut any of the mortises I planned on.

DSCN0235.JPG

No shop time, but it was a wood related weekend just the same. Saturday I visited the shop teacher at Durand Public schools ( I used to coach him in baseball when he was in his early teens) and got a tour of the shop and the projects his students are making.

Sunday went to church with a old college friend and then looked at his stash of walnut lumber... I tried to buy some of it from him and he is giving it some thought.