Thread: My first few hours on a lathe or............

My first few hours on a lathe or............

I still have all my fingers, toes, no knots on my head and I've learned a few things!

My first feeble spindle lesson on Saturday was, for the most part, a success! Using my patented diving board bench to mount my lathe, I managed to take square stock (2x2) and make round stock with long sweeping curves, etc. In doing so, I mangaged to use each of the tools I was so generously provided. It was a good lesson and with photo documentation got the "wolves" off my back for now!

Sunday, evening I managed to get into the shop for a couple of hours. I attempted to make a handle for one of the lathe tools. Both attempts were okay. The first attempt was going fine until I tried using the the 3/4 skew which was rapidly getting dull! You know what happened it caught and tore a large gouge out of the wood! I, also ran into a problem, getting the thing cut off. The 2nd attempt went better except that I had to learn 2 things.......1) the center I'm using in the tailstock makes it difficult to turn down to a small enough size with out hitting the center and........when turning sometimes more is less desireable.........a small turned line is more desireable on a handle than practicing your use of the 1/4" gouge or 3/8" skew to make an ring that is more turning and therefore more fun!

Lessons........sometimes:

Long sweeping curves are more desireable on handles

Using a skew can be fun and a good way to smooth things but it must be sharp!

All in all I spent 4 hours this weekend using the new lathe and tools. I can't wait to get back to it but I surely can't wait until that grinder arrives.

Work permitting (I've got an installation going on) I want to build a stand for the grinder this coming weekend.

I want to clean up the sawdust in the new shop and get back into completing it so I can spend more time turning in a well lighted shop!

Then build a permanent bench for the lathe!

Turning really is a kick!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Turning really is a kick!

That made me smile for the first time this morning...
    Glad you had fun Ken!

3. Congratulations!
    I have no knowledge to offer so I will give suport, lol.

Folks - please note that he did not say something like - "I hate the skew!"

Don't know what kinda exotic fumes you're sniffing out there Ken, but for a new turner to say "using a skew can be fun" I'm thinking you better send me some!

Happy for you. Best advice I can offer right now is to try to find time each day - even if it's just 30 minutes - to fire up The Bomb.
    Only the Blue Roads

Hi Ken,

Glad you have had the opportunity to experience and enjoy the the intoxicating and stimulating effects that only a select few, that work with wood, will ever know. Just not the same, as if one is watching and grabs a hand full of chips, takes a good snort, to see if it will work for them.

Hope you have many a fun day with your new found high.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Folks - please note that he did not say something like - "I hate the skew!"
    Hate the skew??? Heck no! Makes for a great scraper and helps get that angle on the bottom of a bowl recess for the chuck to go into!

Ken, we're all really happy you're having a good time with the lathe! Andy was right in figuring you would and the rest of us just haplessly followed along, hoping that he was indeed right, for once!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Finish that Shop!!!!!
    More Pictures!!!!
    Have fun
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Now there no turning back, your on your way down the slippery slope.
    Sparky Paessler

Another one bits the (saw)dust...

Glad you had fun learning Ken!

Funny...I had fun learning this weekend too!! I happen to like my skew. But I like it even better when it's sharp!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Finish that Shop!!!!!
    More Pictures!!!!
    Have fun
    Hey Tyler,

Ken's gotta new spinny thang....that shop will be a long while before it gets done now.!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.