Thread: Jointer Purchase - Delta 37-275X X5 vs Grizzly G0452, Need help deciding

Jointer Purchase - Delta 37-275X X5 vs Grizzly G0452, Need help deciding

I’m looking to pickup a jointer here pretty soon and now that I have gotten my tax refund I am thinking of putting some of it towards a 6” jointer and saving the rest for a bandsaw sometime this summer.

With that being said I see that Amazon has the Delta 37-275X X5 for $580 (less $80 instant coupon + less $100 Delta X5 rebate) brings it to a total of $400 shipped to my door (plus a sawzall that I can sell for ~$60, if you include that its at a cost of $340.

I am also considering the Grizzly G0452 and the G1182ZHW (I like how it has dual adjusting wheels). The G0452 is $394.25 + 23.66 tax (since I live in PA we gotta pay) for a total of $417.91 to my door. The G1182ZHW is $576.91 to my door which is a little more than I really wanted to spend.

I realize that the bed on a 6” is shorter than on the 8” models but it will do the job that I have in mind for it and if not then I’ll just add onto the arms.

So after all of that is the Delta better than the Grizzly I have looked at the specs and the fences are just about the same height, have the same hp motor, cutting speed and most other features are very similar. The one big difference is that the Delta weights in at 50 lbs more than the G0452, also the G0452 comes with the mobile base built in, I’m not sure how well that will work since I want to keep it up against the wall and it has to slide one way only. I also noticed that Delta has a nice 5yr warranty and Grizzly is 1yr I belive, although I hope never to need it but its nice to know that help is there if needed.

I wanted to get some opinions about this, I could hold off on buying a jointer for a month or two but thought about it now since the Amazon deal seems pretty sweet. What’s everybody’s opinion?
    Last edited by Brian Parker; 02-13-2006 at 1:59 PM.

Brian,

I owned the Delta 37-275X X5 and sold it. I have also visited the Grizzly Showroom in Muncy, PA and have seen the Grizzly G0452 up close and the G1182ZHW. There is no question in my mind I would buy the Grizzly.

Hope this helps,

Lloyd

Lloyd,

If you could what are your reasons for selecting selling the Delta and advising to go with the Grizzly? Also why did you sell the Delta, did you upgrade like alot of people do to the 8" jointers? And yes one more qyestion, which Grizzly are you recommending over the Delta?

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd morris
    Brian,

I owned the Delta 37-275X X5 and sold it. I have also visited the Grizzly Showroom in Muncy, PA and have seen the Grizzly G0452 up close and the G1182ZHW. There is no question in my mind I would buy the Grizzly.

Hope this helps,

Lloyd
    Lloyd, why did you sell it? Could you qualify (IYO) what makes Grizzlys head and shoulders above the Delta? Just curious because I just got the Delta X5 6" and really like it. Setup was easy and only took about an hour or so. The cuts are smooth as glass and accurate. Quality fit and finish as well. Is there something that I am missing here? I had the Delta "Deluxe" jointer before and it worked well for 8 years. I too would like to have bought an 8" jointer, but I just don't have the room. And there is a big price difference between $375 (6" after promos with free mobile base) and an 8" (~$1000). The 6" X5 seemed to be a good "compromise". Thanks, Bill

Update: I just called Amazon and they only let you take $80 OR get the free sawzall. Oh well I guess its still a good deal on the Delta. But does anyone have any major problems with either?

I've had te Delta X5 for awhile and love it.. Never used a Griz but maybe there's something to it.

Not sure I'd take my advise, but I know I'm real happy with the X5.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

[quote=Anthony Anderson]Lloyd Could you qualify (IYO) what makes Grizzlys head and shoulders above the Delta?

Didn't say anything about being head and shoulders above the Delta. What I said was "there is no question in my mind I would buy the Grizzly". Brian said he wanted to get some opinions about [Delta vs Grizzly Jointers] and I gave him mine. I am sure you are very pleased with your Delta X5 Jointer and I am glad it is working out for you. I certainly did not mean to offend you and apologize if I did so.

Since you asked for specifics my experience with the Delta 37-275X 6' Jointer was less than I expected although it eventually turned out well in the end. My Delta 37-275X arrived with a faulty motor (it would turn a half a revolution or so and just stop) and the machined pulley was way out of spec causing a lot of vibration when I got the new motor installed. Also one of the blades was nicked and needed to be replaced.

All this took about two months, several phone calls to Delta and several hours of waiting for Customer service to pick up the phone. Several times I would wait up to 30 minutes in the que only to have a Customer Service Rep take my name and number and say someone would call me back within 24 hours. The good news it a tech always called back within 24 hours. The bad news is I could not sit by the phone for 24 hours and often missed the call. I understand Delta has streamlined and resolved many of these Customer Service issues in recent months. Delta to it's credit eventually solved all these problems and the jointer was working as it should when I sold it. But going through Delta Customer Service to get these problems addressed was like pulling teeth.

On the other hand, I have called Grizzly tech support to talk about the specifics of a Grizzly tool and get through immediately. Adding to this, the President of Grizzly, Shiraz Balolia is a member here and takes customer servce very seriously when someone has a problem.

As far I know the President of Delta does not post or get involved in solving customer problems. All of this together is why I said there is no question in my mind I would buy the Grizzly given the machines Brian was considering.

Hope this helps,

Lloyd
    Last edited by lloyd morris; 02-13-2006 at 6:47 PM.

Have you considered the Bridgewood or Yorkcraft from Wilke Machine in York Pa?

I've got the 6" Bridgewood and my only complaint is it's not an 8"er...

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

[quote=lloyd morris]
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Anderson
    Lloyd Could you qualify (IYO) what makes Grizzlys head and shoulders above the Delta?
    [quote=Anthony Anderson]

Didn't say anything about being head and shoulders above the Delta.
    Hey Lloyd, I know you didn't state that the Griz was head and shoulders above the Delta, that is why I did not quote you on that (no quotation marks around that statement). That was just my interpretation.

I certainly did not mean to offend you and apologize if I did so.
    No apology needed. You certainly did not offend me. I was genuinely asking for your input. I realize that there are many (read "most") on this forum that are far more knowledgeable than I am, and thought that there may be something that I am/was overlooking. Something that I should pay closer attention to.

and the machined pulley was way out of spec causing a lot of vibration
    See just like this. My jointer too has some vibration, not that bad, but it is there. I am going to go down tonight (shop is in the basement) and make sure that nothing is loose, and if not, I am calling Delta in the morning to get a new pulley. Wish me luck.

Again, thanks for the response and the input. And my apologies the confusion in my post. Sincerely, Bill

Bill,

My pulley was actually out enough you could see it if you were lookiing at the right angle and in the right light as it was revolving at speed. The dial indicator confirmed it and Delta replaced it. The new one was within spec according to Delta, however I still had some vibration which was cleared up by a twist link belt.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Lloyd

Grizzly is head and shoulders above delta. When was the last time the president of delta posted on here fixing a customer's problem? I looked at the 0452 and the 1182 in the showroom and after using them both went with the 452. The dual handwheels just aren't that important. You get em on the outfeed table on the 452 and frankly once I get my jointer set where I want it I never touch the infeed table. I have it set to take off 1/32 and never move it. I never take big cuts. I realize some of you with jointers the size of small latin american countries like taking 1/2" cuts all day, and can do that with your 12 knife cutterheads. I am not in that big of a hurry, personally.

Spend the big bucks and get the Grizzly G0490. The intro price is less than half of what a Delta DJ20 is and I would do it in a heartbeat if I did not already have the DJ20. The 8" width is much better than 6" for flattening boards and the extra length really helps.

CPeter

After some more thought last night I came to the same thoughts as you CPeter, 8" is better. Especially since I will have it for a long time and it doesn't pay to skimp on the tool. If I go with the Grizzly (after more thoughts I proab will) I will just wait until summer and make the hike to muncy and get a jointer and bandsaw all in one stop.

That being said what is the real advantage of the G0490 over the G0586? I see that both are new this year and look to be of a high quality.

What is the advantage of having Parallelogram Beds? I'm not familiar with that term?

Also you mentioned this is the intro price, since the prices are listed in the catalog arent they that price for the entire year? I understand that they could place them on sale (that would be sweet) but is this a limited time price?

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter James
    Spend the big bucks and get the Grizzly G0490. The intro price is less than half of what a Delta DJ20 is and I would do it in a heartbeat if I did not already have the DJ20. The 8" width is much better than 6" for flattening boards and the extra length really helps.

CPeter
    Last edited by Brian Parker; 02-14-2006 at 12:15 PM.

If they are in the catalog at that price, it will probably hold. They are going to make their money on volume and reverse engineering is cheaper that starting from scratch. I don't own any Grizzly, but only because the opportunity hasn't come up. I buy a lot of used stuff and out here in the hinterlands, there is not a lot of Grizzly around. What I have seen looks good and getting better every day. They have improved the QC a great deal and the service is better than most of the big name companies.

CPeter