Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Workbench

New Workbench

Well I just finished building my new workbench. It was featured in ShopNotes a couple of issues ago. Still have to do some work finishing, but have to wait until it gets a little warmer so I can open windows. This is my first post here, I used to spend a bunch of time lurking at the pond, and even posted a little.

This seems like a good place and I do like the interface better than the pond.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick Shryock -- Falmouth, on the Rock Bound Coast of Maine

Thumbs up Looks good!!

Dick,

Very nice. I am getting ready to build a top similar to that, though the base is going to be more of a rolling cabinet so that I will have storage and can use it for an outfield table.

Nice work,
    Bob

Work Bench

Dick,
    Nice job on the bench! I too thought about building that same bench. Did you use the Veritas twin screw like they did in the Shop Notes project? If so how hard is this vice to install?
    Dave

Re: Work Bench

Originally posted by Dave Crabbs
    Dick,
    Nice job on the bench! I too thought about building that same bench. Did you use the Veritas twin screw like they did in the Shop Notes project? If so how hard is this vice to install?
    Dave
    Yes I did use the Veritas Twin screw vice, se attached image. It was a piece of cake to install. The top is 3 laminations of 3/4" MDF so it weighs a ton. The oveall dimensions are 26 1/2 X 76. So I can effectivly clamp seven feet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice job Dick

I am using some of the construction ideas from the same set of plans. So far I have the legs blanked out & glued up out of 3 pieces of poplar each & the stretchers made.
    I may not have the curved sides on the top. My bench is going to be either 5" or 5 1/2" long & 3' wide & used as an out-feed table for the table saw.
    I plan to have a tool case underneath about 18"- 20" deep. I will need to leave the far side of the underneath of the bench clear for the table saw motor.
    I plan to make the case side run about 2' - 2 1/2" higher than the top so I'll have a place to screw drawer glides to so I'll have a shallow drawer on top of the chest to put tools in if I need to clear the bench for that forgotten cut that we always need to make after we get the top of the bench covered with material & tools.
    I don't like tool trays or bins on the side or ends of my bench. If the bench is going to take that space up I better be able to use it for a bench not to catch junk & saw dust.
    Did you use bench bolts to hold your bench together?

Originally posted by Bart Leetch
    Nice job Dick
    Did you use bench bolts to hold your bench together?
    Yes I did use the bench bolts for the stretchers. I too am using my bench as an out feed table for my TS. My next project is to build cases to go in the space underneath the top, similar to what was in the subsequent article in ShopNotes. I'm thinking about making three cases that will slide on the bottom shelf, At least two of the cases will have drawers. The third one may have a door, but I'm leaning toward drawers in that one too.

Protect the top

Dick,

Nice bench! I have a similar one - a "joiners" bench from a book by Sam Allen and I find it very practical.

I would recommend that you wax the top regularly. It really does help to protect it from glue drips and the like. I think your top is hardboard like mine and it wears pretty well but scraping glue off scars the smooth finish and reveals more of the fibrous material that then seems to wear faster.

I use the space underneath for a carcase full of drawers which I find the best way to store most of my hand tools.

Chris.
    Chris

Re: Protect the top

Originally posted by Chris Knight
    Dick,

Nice bench! I have a similar one - a "joiners" bench from a book by Sam Allen and I find it very practical.

I would recommend that you wax the top regularly. It really does help to protect it from glue drips and the like. I think your top is hardboard like mine and it wears pretty well but scraping glue off scars the smooth finish and reveals more of the fibrous material that then seems to wear faster.

I use the space underneath for a carcase full of drawers which I find the best way to store most of my hand tools.

Chris.
    Chris,

My top is 3 layers of MDF which I finished with BLO and Bri Wax. I plan to re-wax regularly.

Re: Protect the top

Originally posted by Chris Knight
    Dick,

Chris.
    Chris,

My top is 3 layers of MDF which I finished with BLO and Bri Wax. I plan to re-wax regularly.

leg in picture

Hi Dick

Very nice bench!

When you decided to make the bench what was your thought process?

Why dedicate the time and resources to build a bench instead of something else.

Why select the plan you selected (how many plans did you consider)?

In what ways did the project exceed your expectations?

What would you do differently if you were to do it again?

What did you learn along the way? Technical as well as spiritual?

In the picture there looks to be a foot or block of wood under the leg that is visible. Anything special about that?

Thanks
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Nice bench Dick-- It's good to see you...

posting here. I sort of thought you had disappeared. Have you heard from Woody at all? By the way, having a replaceable 1/4" masonite for a top layer is a really workable idea. Cheap to replace when it gets too ratty and easy to do too.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Beautiful Job!

Looks like it'll give you many years of usage. All the best. Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Re: Nice bench Dick-- It's good to see you...

Originally posted by Dave Anderson NH
    posting here. I sort of thought you had disappeared. Have you heard from Woody at all? By the way, having a replaceable 1/4" masonite for a top layer is a really workable idea. Cheap to replace when it gets too ratty and easy to do too.
    Yea, just had Sushi with him, trying to get him on this board but have not been successful yet. I'm sure that he will come around though.

It is sure nice to be here, Wayne did a wonderful job on the Pond, but this place seems equally friendly and the interface is far superior (IMHO).

I thought about the replacement hardboard top but opted for the MDF through and through. I was worried about the Hardboard staying firmly in place and flat.

Take Care,

Re: leg in picture

Originally posted by Richard Allen
    Hi Dick

When you decided to make the bench what was your thought process? Well I guess that I thought that making a bench would help hone my skills and that I would have a nice place to work afterward

Why dedicate the time and resources to build a bench instead of something else.

Why select the plan you selected (how many plans did you consider)? Hmmm.. I have been looking for a bench that was easy to build yet rugged. The ShopNotes plan seemed like just the ticket. No fancy Joinery but solidly constructed.

In what ways did the project exceed your expectations? It came out better than I expected. I didn't know if I would have the skill to do it.

What would you do differently if you were to do it again? I would have spent a little more for my face vice, and gotten onet that was a little more substancial

What did you learn along the way? Technical as well as spiritual? Be precise when measuring and as Ken likes to say, measure twice and cut once.

In the picture there looks to be a foot or block of wood under the leg that is visible. Anything special about that? That is just a cut-off from my end vice. I had been using it when I clamped the endvice face in the Frfront vice to equalize the pressure. Didn't realize that it was on the floor until I saw it in the photo

Thanks
    How did I do? Let me know if there is anything else that I can answer.

Hi Dick

I do a lot of projects which don't come out anywhere near as nice as that bench. I was thinking that my process might be the issue. I have never worked to a plan (other that the vague plan that is hideing in my head). I am thinking I should reconsider the plan idea.

I always like to have room to grow with my tools. So maybe the "oportunity" to improve the bench with a new vice when you get the chance to "blame" the vice for some project comeing out less than you expect ... However having looked at the bench it is easy to see that you won't have much "oportunity" to "blame" your tools.

Thanks
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away