Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions From a "Pre-Beginner"

Questions From a "Pre-Beginner"

Hi everyone. I have been in to "serious" woodworking for a couple years now and have a nicely outfitted shop. One thing I have not gotten in to though, is woodturning. I don't know a thing about it and I don't even know what types of projects I would like to attempt, though some of the first things I have in mind are spindle-type applications that would become a part of other woodworking projects (table legs, for instance). Bowl turning also piques my interest, but I have no desire to make pens.

Anyway, I am seriously looking at getting a stationary lathe in the coming months and have my eye on the new Grizzly G0462 ($395). I have searched the archives of this forum and have seen that some people have issues with this machine, particularly the speed range, and many have pointed to the Powermatic as being a better machine. There is just no way I can afford a Powermatic at this point and I was wondering if the Grizzly would be ok for a beginner like me.

A second question is, in addition to a lathe, what other tools/equipment are the "must haves" for a beginner?

A final question is this: Can anyone recommend a good "introduction to woodturning" book or video for me. I live in a rural area and don't believe there are any woodturning classes available to me within a reasonable distance? Thanks...Jon
    Last edited by Jon Farley; 02-13-2006 at 4:30 PM.

Jon - "Help" is on the way!

abysserator.jpg
    Only the Blue Roads

Just look into the black hole and say hello to the vortex.

I to am very new to turning. I'm currently using a 54yr old sears lathe. Got more money in turning tools than I do in the lathe. You'll need a starter set of tools for sure. Something your not afraid to take to the grinder and "try" and sharpen.

That said you'll need a big sheet of plywood to cover your table saw up with. "Just say no to flat"
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

$36.00 from Harbor freight.

Attachment 31788
    Last edited by Don Baer; 11-30-2006 at 6:10 PM.

Hey Andy, that's my truck
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Having just bought my first lathe a few weeks ago, first to turn some legs for furniture and only later for bowl work I'll tell you the decisions I made.

I bought the PM, but only because I would rather not have to upgrade later and LOML wants to do BIG bowls. For an inexpensive lathe I would rather go with the 14" Jet. I had a chance to work on one and it should do just fine. Maybe you could even find a Jet 16" without electronic speed control?

The shop I use has a 10% off deal for a starter tool kit. The have a kit for spindle work and a different kit for bowl work. The spindle kit consists of a small spindle gouge, skew chisel and diamond parting tool. Having turned some legs for a chest and done some spindle lessons out of a book, I would think you could get away without the parting tool for quite some time. Using general ww'ing experience, I would rather buy one or two great tools than buy a whole set of cheap ones.

Edit: The starter spindle kit also contains a large roughing gouge.

Look at books and video by Richard Raffan.
    Last edited by Tom Jones III; 02-14-2006 at 8:38 AM.

good tools only hurt once, cheap tools hurt every time you use them...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Jon,

Welcome to the Wild Side

You are in luck and can have most all of your questions answered starting here and doing a little sporatic reading coming forward

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26539

A lot of really good advice was offered up by freindly and helpful creekers in replies to threads started by me and a few others of recent terminal addiction.

Hi Jon

If you are a serious woodworker, then I suspect that you might be interested in turning legs and other spindle work. The Grizzly lathe would probably do that with a reasonable amount of accuracy, but sooner or later, you are going to want to put a big chunk-o-wood on it, and then you are going to have problems. If it were me in your situation, I would look seriously at a Jet mini lathe with a bed extension. You will end up with a higher quality machine that will give you the ability to do full length table legs, and you can still turn a 10" (theoretical limit) bowl. The mini won't take up a ton of room, and if you decide to upgrade, it will be easier to resell than the Grizzly.

Between the two, there are other options that are very nice machines, but don't cost as much as the Powermatic. Jet makes a 14" and a 16" swing lathe, and Nova has a very nice machine in their DVR with a 16" swing. It also has an expandable bed system.

Other necessities depend on what you want to turn to start. If you are going to stick with spindles to start, you don't need a chuck right away. If you want to turn bowls, you still don't need a chuck, but it makes life a lot easier. What you do need is a selection of tools specific to the type of turning you want to do, a grinder, a FULL face shield, etc etc.

There are good videos out there, and instructors closer to you than you might suspect. But I will let someone else say what they want about that.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jones III
    Having turned some legs for a chest and done some spindle lessons out of a book, I would think you could get away without the parting tool for quite some time. Using general ww'ing experience, I would rather buy one or two great tools than buy a whole set of cheap ones.
    Tom, I don't want to sound contentious, but the parting tool is one of the most useful and versatile tools you can own. I use mine in all sorts of situations from making tenons on spindles, tenons on bowls, sizing diameters quickly in conjunction with a set of calipers, squaring up shoulders, etc. In fact, I own two partings tools for different types of work.

I do agree that a lot of the time a set is not a good value. It is better to pick the tools one needs and build a collection as the projects come up.

Bill

Jon............I'm the newest member of the turning crew here! It was forced upon me as punishment for having the nerve of coming to the basement and hassling these folks. If I might say...........BEAT ME! BEAT ME! I had never seen anyone turn wood. After watching the Raffan videos from Taunton press, watching Bill Grumbine's video and reading some of Keith Rowley's book and Barry Gross's book........this weekend I started turning. Now everybody here will tell you that the first project was just a "salmon basher" but my intention was to try various cuts with the different tools given to me. Yesterday, I made two tool handles. While they aren't up to the standards of a lot of our turners, they improved my skills. Books.......Keith Rowley " Woodturning - A Foundation Course" IIRC, Barry Gross..."Learn to Turn"....videos..Taunton Press "Turning Wood"- Richard Raffan...our own Bill Grumbine's "Turned Bowls Mad Easy"....

PS....I was given a Jet Mini VS that Bill mentions. Seems like a well built machine for the price!

Good Luck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine
    There are good videos out there, and instructors closer to you than you might suspect. But I will let someone else say what they want about that.
    Bill
    Ok, I will say it for you, Bill! Bill's video on bowl turning is probably the best out there, and guess what? If you can get to Kutztown, PA (did I spell it right Bill?) I bet you could arrange for a little private instruction and cut your learning curve by a bunch.

BTW Tom...I agree with Bill about the parting tool. I also have two different ones and am about to make a third one out of a piece of 1" bandsaw blade. It's one of the most versatile turning tools you can have...now matter if you are doing spindles, bowls or hollow forms. And it is essential for things like boxes.

Jon, when the guys like Bill Grumbine talk about lathes, it's good to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    ...the first project was just a "salmon basher" ...
    Ken, the Jet Mini is way too small to turn a Salmon Basher. What you turned was a Salmon Bonker, and a mighty fine one at that. A basher is a whole 'nother kettle of fish, you might say. And I won't even get into the differences between whackersand thumpers. There's a heated argument just waitin' to happen.

- Vaughn

Ken - Vaughn is technically correct. But through error of omission he forgot about the Salmon Sap. He was indeed correct, however, in stating that your Bomb is only properly sized for a Bonker. Anything bigger than a bonker mandates the use of something along the lines of Jeff Singleton's new Maxi lathe.
    Only the Blue Roads

Jeez....Andy......The Jet mini only has about 4 hours on it and already you're pushing me to upgrade?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....