Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Table Saw to Buy

Each will have their own reasons for the tools they buy. I bought the Ridgid 3650 and have enjoyed it for the past 15 months. I added a router taable extension on the right and then added a folding outfeed table. This adds an incredible amount of support and work surface.

As I am a weekend hobbiest, my needs may not push this saw, but I have used it to make a bed, two dressers two bedside tables and a kitchen table among other things. The power is sufficient, the fence works great for me, and the lift system makes it VERY easy to roll around my garage.

Good Luck on your search.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    At 120v, that saw will require at least a 25 amp breaker since the rated draw is 20a. It would cost the same to put in a 240v line as it would, more or less, to put in a 25-30amp 120v circuit. 2hp motors really need 240v to operate in that respect.
    Good point about the amp draw. I was just relaying info that's in the Griz catalog. 240v is the prefered way to go for a 2hp motor and that putting a new circuit in is way easier than most people think.

Craig, if I had it all to do over again I would follow Tod's advice. But since you said 110 V here is what I have had for 15 years and it has served me well. Delta Contractors saw is adaptable to 220 V ( I just did this recently ) and added the unifence a year ago.

Spend 995 and get the Grizzly 1023SL and take the leftovers and run a 220 circuit to your shop. I did that and am very glad I did. The cuts are amazingly smooth and perfect. I just throw lumber at the saw and out pops fully completed furniture. Really. Chicks dig it too.

I already have a 30amp breaker there and the Sears 22124 is currently on their website for 999.99.

I was wondering if the table extensions on the 22124 were cast iron or fiberboard?

The delta I was looking at had a uni fence and the Jet had an exaxta. Is the uni fence as good or better than the Bess. for smaller stock?
    Craig Fyock

Member: Dallas Area Woodturnes
    Hunt County Woodturners

Thanks to all those who sacrifice to keep us safe and free!!!

The band saw, the contractor saw, and the cabinet saw have been recommended. Let me add one other option. How about the EZ Smart guide system? The repeaters can be set for the thinest of cuts and the smart clamping system can hold the narrowest of boards. These two capabilities seem to be perfect for your needs.

<TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE class=mod_headliner cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD class=leftspacer></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle><!-- Top Nav Bar --><FORM name=admin_form action=view_photos.php><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SCRIPT language=javascript1.2 type=text/JavaScript> function doPrintService(input) { if (!input) { input = document.admin_form.print_services.value; } switch (input) { case 'ezprints': document.ezPrintsForm.returnpage.value=document.lo cation; document.ezPrintsForm.submit(); break; case 'fotokasten': window.open('http://1071.partner.fotokasten.de/affiliateapi/standard.php?add=http://eurekazone.com/albums/EZ-the-strip-riper/and_under_limit_stops_028.jpg&thumbnail=http://eurekazone.com/albums/EZ-the-strip-riper/and_under_limit_stops_028.thumb.jpg&height=1932&wi dth=2576','Print_with_Fotokasten','height=500,widt h=500,location=no,scrollbars=yes,menubars=no,toolb ars=no,resizable=yes'); break; case 'photoaccess': document.photoAccess.returnUrl.value=document.loca tion; document.photoAccess.submit(); break; case 'shutterfly': document.sflyc4p.returl.value=document.location; document.sflyc4p.submit(); break; } }</SCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FORM><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- image --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="1%" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=green><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=green></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD width=1 bgColor=green></TD></TR><TR bgColor=green><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- caption --><!-- Comments --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Last edited by Burt Waddell; 02-13-2006 at 11:06 PM.

Rob Will Guest

Cabinet Saw-O-Holic

Yeah, I know.....this is outside of the parameters set forth but I can't help it. Cabinet saws are a work of art. I would run a 240V line and be happy forever. Nice fence, smooth polished cast iron table, big off switch that you can hit with your knee, zero clearance insert and a riving knive. Perfect for those small parts......drool.

Rob

Confession: I don't own one (yet)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    But, the problem with this is that most cabinet saws operate on 220 (or so) volts and Craig has said he does not want anything other than 110 volts.

Craig, if I were in your position, I would probably go with a hybrid (most likely Delta or Craftsman) and get an after-market miter guage (probably Jessem).
    Yep, I agree with Frank. A hybrid would be the way to go. The Craftsman is getting some pretty good words by owners and reviewers. The full cabinet version 22124 operates on 110volts, comes equipped with a Biesemeyer fence, and has cabinet mounted trunnions (allows the blade to the miter gauge slot to be adjusted easier). If I was in the market for a saw with your requirements I would go with the Craftsman. I have recently seen it on sale for $849. Good Luck, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Fyock
    I already have a 30amp breaker there and the Sears 22124 is currently on their website for 999.99.

I was wondering if the table extensions on the 22124 were cast iron or fiberboard?

The delta I was looking at had a uni fence and the Jet had an exaxta. Is the uni fence as good or better than the Bess. for smaller stock?
    Craig - The 22124 has two 12" CI wings and a laminate extension on the right. You should be able to get that saw for less than list price...often in the $850 range. (never hurts to ask....a couple of times )

Last edited by scott spencer; 02-14-2006 at 6:41 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Another vote for the ridgid.

Like mine a lot. A little tougher to do dust collection but not bad.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Frank -

The 22114 *IS* 110 volts. It's "like" a cabinet saw - it has a 3/4 cabinet and short, stubby legs.