Thread: Porter Cable 4212 Frustration = New Tool Purchase

Unhappy Porter Cable 4212 Frustration = New Tool Purchase

I have owned the 4212 Porter Cable Dovetail jig with the additional 4215 mini dovetail template for a few months. No problems with the jig itself, actually made a couple of drawers after about 15 minutes of set-up.

My frustration has been with the availability of bits for this jig. Yesterday, the bit for the mini template broke while routing some drawers (luckily no injuries). Needing a replacement bit quickly, I visited 2 local Woodcraft stores and neither had even heard of a replacement bit for the mini template.

While looking at the bit selections, I noticed numerous bits available for both the Akeda and Leigh jigs. After talking to the salesman, I bit the bullet and purchased the Leigh D1600. For those who have used this jig, please let me know your experiences (set-up, ease of use etc.).

Now I have 2 problems, explaining to the wife about the new credit card expense and what to do with the Porter Cable jig. A visit to the big auction site will probably solve problem #2. Still working on a solution for #1.

Just curious Paul, what size/degree bit did you need for the PC mini template?
    If you decide to sell the 4212 in lieu of going to the auction site with it kindly let me know.
    Thanks! In peace, Todd

Paul, the Leigh D1600 is pretty new to the market and there aren't legions of users so far like there are for its big-brother/sister, the D4. Know that you have a dovetail system from one of the best in the business....nobody could pry my D4 out of my shop, even though I've been cutting some of them by hand as of late!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Paul;
    You'll love the Leigh Jig. Their customer service is the best. I recently decided to upgrade my "D-3", and ordered parts, and a new manual from Leigh on the webb.
    The next morning I got a call from Leigh. The lady said that the "Scales" I ordered were out of stock. She asked if I needed the other parts in a hurry, or would I be able to wait a week and get everything in one shipment. I told her that I wasn't in a hurry, and one shipment would be OK. That kind of service is rare these days.

Call porter cable they can fix you up with a router bit.

Paul

I have both the Porter Cable 4212 and the Leigh D4. Both are excellent jigs. I do mainly through dovetails and box joints on the Leigh and leave the Porter Cable set up for half blinds. I find half blinds on the Leigh a little annoying unless I am making an asymetrical layout.

As for the bit, I don't think you will have any problem getting one if you give Porter Cable CS a call.

Dan