Thread: Chucks

Chucks

Since ya'll talked me into buying a PM3520B, I now need some recommendations for a chuck. I think that I will be working with wood from 5 to 15 inches in diameter. What do you think that I need to look at?

Cheers
    Gordon

It's a little pricey, but I like the VicMark.
    Randy
    Much Work Remains To Be Done Before We Can Announce Our Total Failure to Make Any Progress

Axminster Precision 4 jaw is a terrific chuck.

Oneway, Nova and Vicmarc also make good chucks.
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Gordon, the first thing would be "Wood Chucks.

You may well get as many opinions as one would get asking about lathes.

Now that you have experienced the shock of purchasing a lathe, the real expense is yet to come in the form of after shocks. Wave after wave, after wave.

Personally, I favor the Axminster, as noted above. There are others that incorporate a good design, and reflect great quality, however the Axminster shins in my book. They are manufactured by folks that respect quality, and it shows.

That's my opinion, others may differ,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This thread has sent me off looking at chucks and I have a couple of questions concerning the Axminster series. On the Precision 4 jaw chuck, it doesn't come with jaws but there are a number of different jaws to choose from. Are there any disadvantages to the stepped set? It looks like that set would cover a lot of different sized turnings.
    Also...there is a nylon set of jaws that you can turn to size...How do they hold up to wear?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

John, the stepped jaws may be acceptable for some limited applications. Turning various sizes of spindle stock, which require sq. ends, (note I did not use the whole word) which are supported with the aid of the tail stock. They are some what limited with there holding capabilities, as the contacting surface area is not as great as for instance the dovetail jaws.

I favor the dovetail jaws for several reasons. Holding a bowl or platter with an internal grove in the area of a tenon. They work equally as well on a tenon. A feature I use, and find it most convenient is the compatibility with the faceplate rings. I have four sets of the same and change overs are so simple and fast.

As far as the soft jaws go, never used them. One would think they would hold up well, if not abused. Just never had a need for them???

Bill.>>>>>>>>>

Oh, ok. I get it. That all makes sense. I think this will be my next big purchase. I like the chuck I have but I can't use it on everything and want to get something that is more universal. Thanks!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Bill
    Thanks for the Axminster clue. I will have to check them out and see what is what. Any more good clues?

Cheers
    Gordon

I work with Chuck at my PT job. He teaches a turning class but, I'm not sure he'd be real keen on a long-term committment! FWIW, I have both, the Super Nova and the newer Super Nova2. Both are great, though I really think that version 2 is a great improvement over the original.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

10. Another vote for the SNII (b/c that's what I have).

OneWay Stronghold, Vicmark 120 or the Axemaster equivalent are great choices. I prefer the OneWay jaws, but like the key style of the others.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

wessel chucks, good high quality german engineering....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.