Thread: New Rikon Mini Lathe

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Rikon Mini Lathe

I purchased another mini-lathe at Christmas. I needed a second so my daughter and I could turn at the same time and besides who can have to many lathes. I have an older Rockwell/Delta I keep sey up for bowl work and a Jet Mini to do pens on.

I really love my Jet but thought I'd just check and see what was out there. My local WoodCraft store had just gotten in the Rikon Mini's and I really liked that all the handles were larger and appeared to be much sturdier than those on the Jet or the Delta. They all have a 1/2 HP motor. The Rikon is a 12 x16 rather than 10x14 and it weighes about 20 pounds more than the jet. So larger turning by 2" in height and length. Bed extensions and stands are also available like the other brands. The Rikon has #2 MT all the way around and also has 1x8 threading. The real factor
    that sold me was the ease of belt change. The cover folds down and gives you really easy acces to the pulleys.

I have restrained from posting until I have put this machime through its paces. Lets just say my daughter gets to use the Jet now. I find that the Rikon has much more tourque than the jet. I can really melt a finish on a pen and am sure that it will handle smaller non spindle turning better than my jet due to more tourque and more weight (less vibration). The Rikon also has a 12 position indexing head.

The only negative I can say is I was under impressed with the Drive center and Live center that comes with it. I could not get the points of these two to line up and spin right. I replaced both before I did any turnin and the new ones lined up and spun together with no wobble or movement.

Hope this helps anyone who was looking at this lathe. WoodCraft has them and while I have no affiliation with them I do try thank them with my & as they do support the Freedom Pen Project and have nation wide Turnathons every year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Craig Fyock

Member: Dallas Area Woodturnes
    Hunt County Woodturners

Thanks to all those who sacrifice to keep us safe and free!!!