Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: microplane VS rasps

microplane VS rasps

Any opinions on rasps vs microplanes? I have read a few on-line opinions in favor of microplanes, but I'd like some of the fellow creekers to share their insight before I committ to one or the other.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

I use both. When we took the workshop with Sam Maloof he also used both. It depends on what I am trying to do.

What in blazes is a microplane?

“Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser
    What in blazes is a microplane?

Bob -

They're cheese graters (err........wood graters) with a handle. They also come in cylinders to attach to the drill press.

Most generally, they are agressive shavers.

Oh. Thx.

No need to buy one. You can tape or rivet together a stack of old hacksaw blades that'll work just as well. An old-timer "microplane" somebody borrowed the idea from, I bet.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

I actually have a microplane. But I bought it long before I ever heard of SMC or ever had any instruction! It turns out my wife has the EXACT same thing for the kitchen to grate parmesan cheese!

7. Hi Zahid,

Though I use more rasps and files, the microplanes do work quick and last well, though they are like toss-away Japanese saws. A good condition quality vintage rasp or file can be restored in all likelihood. That saves on costs over new rasps/files.

Decent new files and rasps can cut as fast or faster, as well as more coarsely or smoother depending on the rasp, than a microplane.

Microplanes are also flexible and can aid in sculpting fluid joints unlike a rigid rasp. And they are relatively inexpensive. I use them at times when I think they'll be of use.

My preference is always the rigid rasps and files. I use the Nicholson 49/50 as well as the Auriou and Grobet. They'll at least last my lifetime.

Take care, Mike

I have a round microplane for use on the drill press, as well as a rasp shaped one. I also have two I use in the kitchen, a coarser one I use on parmesan cheese and the like, and a fine one for zesting citrus (they are FANTASTIC in the kitchen). Look at them here, Bob, before you poo poo the idea as something stolen from old times. The original ones basically took the idea of a surform type tool, and added a "blade" that actually cuts well and leaves a smoother finish. The "teeth" on these are like little mini planes, and it takes shavings rather than making dust. As Don says above, they have their place, and I grab it for some things. Traditionalists won't want them in their shop because of their laser cut teeth, and Bailey didn't have the original patent in 1866. I won't say they are better than a file or rasp, just different. In the kitchen, there is no better grating tool that I've ever used.

Surform? Surform!

OK...I know what Surform is and have a round one that's pretty handy.

I thought we were talking about those webbed ones with sawteeth on the bottom. Those work the same as my taped hacksaw blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser
    I thought we were talking about those webbed ones with sawteeth on the bottom. Those work the same as my taped hacksaw blades.
    HAHAHA. I think your taped hacksaw blades will work better!!!!

I like the weight and feel of a rasp...I like the pattern they impart on the wood...it seems I am more in control of the form...The Nicholson 49 and 50...which are very similar are very good.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

rasp vote here......02 tod

I too vote for rasps. I have the Nicholson's and have been eyeing some aroiyu (sp) for some time.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

One of the things I am hoping to learn this year is some basic carving, such as a ball and claw foot. I am also working on an open saw handle for a DT saw, and while researching the construction and finishing techniques I ran into a posting about microplane VS rasps. The traditionalists like the rasps because they like the heft and feel, while many new users like the microplanes because they cut smoother and obviously the price.
    I figured if they both perform equally well and I have no experience with either, the microplane might be a better option due to the price. I wish I could get to use them before I buy. But the WW'ers around here are mostly electron burners. Maybe I could catch the Nicholsons on sale some time.

A followup question, for something like a ball and claw foot and perhaps some basic shaping what types of rasps do I need, is the #49/50 all I need?
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

A nice set of riffler files, and some sand paper. But, then again I carve horribly, and must clean up a lot of mistakes the safe way.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin